Lightweight gas bottles

Started by Dee, June 17, 2008, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

I found this info about a lightweight gas bottle http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=149 I liked the idea of being able to see how much is left as well as being light. Is it any good for us or am I a prat? (Well, I often am a prat but am I being a prat now?  ;D)

Bluebottle

Hi Dee, I don't know if you are a pratt or not ??? but I've only seen these bottles for barbecues and the connector is different, but it might be worth asking your gas supplier if they are available with a screwed connector, I've not seenthem at my supplier.

Mike

Mary

It wouldn't work at my supplier, they don't refill tanks, they swap for a full one. The refilling is done at the depot.

Sulis (Hazel)

There seems to be an adapter available for the connector - which would be great. Hmmm - I wonder how much they cost in comparison and what they are made from if not steel?? Must read on!
Hazel x

Lush!

When I bought my set up I got BP gas from Homebase cos I liked the idea of a light bottle .. then discovered the connector didn't fit, and they couldn't offer an alternative - so I had to go for Calor instead.  :(

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Redhotsal

It's not immediately obvious from the website but isn't this LPG - Liquid Petroleum Gas? Ok for running your Range Rover on but I'm not sure you can run a Minor Burner on it??
Not sure I'd trust what I'm guessing is a plastic bottle over a steel one........

Vicki

Quote from: Redhotsal on June 17, 2008, 08:13:54 PM

Not sure I'd trust what I'm guessing is a plastic bottle over a steel one........

I was just thinking along those lines, I'm sure the bottles are thick for good reason

Dee

Hmmm, thought it'd be too good to be true  :(

Mary

Well my central heating runs on propane, and the tank says LPG. It's not deisel, that's what my old boiler used!

Bluebottle

LPG ( Liquefied Petroleum Gas) is just a generic term for any gas produced from petroleum ie Butane, Propane etc  and is the same stuff wether it goes in your Land rover, minor torch, central heating, camping cooker, cigarette lighter etc etc.  ::) ::)

Mike

Redhotsal

Oh - okay Mike. Thanks for that - always wondered what the difference was, (if any)!?
Hang on - though - Butane is not the same as propane, doesn't butane burn dirtier and at a lower temperature? I know Ray runs his torch on butane, as he is above ground level in his swanky studio, but I'm not sure I want to. So is LPG propane based or butane based? (Sorry to be a pedant.....)

Dragonfire Glass

Propane is a shorter carbon chain than butane and so requires less oxygen to turn it completely to carbon dioxide and water.
Butane with the longer carbon chain will therefore burn 'dirtier' in comparison with the same amount of oxygen.
Both can be classified as LPG

Mary

As far as I know both can be called LPG, or it can be a mix, it's just a general term. So the bottles are suitable for either propane or butane. That's why we buy propane, not LPG, because we want specific stuff.

Redhotsal

Bluebottle