Main Menu

Frustrating rolling marbles

Started by Rascal, June 15, 2014, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal

I'm starting to try boro and have a marble class with Glenn in July so thought I'd try some (very simple) marbles to get a feeling for the glass so I'm not a total novice and send Glenn round the twist (although that may still happen!).

Did plain yesterday but didn't use the kiln as just trying to get round shape so didn't think it was worth it. They went ok so decided to try the mushroom technique in the marble and use the kiln. Did 3, one fell on floor rolled over a bit of effetre glass I'd not cleaned up so cracked and the other 2 rolled out the kiln onto the floor and are both ruined. I'm using a shelf as I didn't think you were meant to put glass on the kiln floor (not sure why just something I read) but it means the surface is so smooth any slight movement and the marbles are rolling.  Very frustrated and not a happy bunny.

So how do you stop your marbles rolling out the kiln and what do you use to transfer the marble to the kiln, I've got some hot fingers but didn't find them easy to release the marble?

Thanks for any help

Lotti

I have a flat bed kiln and use some glass rods that I have melted into an L shape and that stops the marbles making a bid for freedom!  I also use an infinate rim marble mold and tip the marble from that straight onto the kiln bed floor.  Tuffers have just recently got in a supply of cool tools that you can use to pick up your marbles with (ready for Glenn's course I believe), they look brilliant :)

http://tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/p3574_Product_3534.html

Have fun practicing and hope you enjoy your course, they are very addictive! :)

ajda

I don't know why you shouldn't put them directly on the kiln floor - unless to protect the kiln, in case you go too hot and melt glass all over it? I use a mat of ceramic fibre on the floor of one of my kilns - the kiln has only a manual controller, so there's always a risk of forgetting what I'm doing and letting the temperature go too high. It's primarily to protect my kiln, but also works very well for keeping stuff from rolling about. I've just made myself a grabber from a length of mandrel wire bent to shape - a bit like the one Martin is selling, only you squeeze to grip rather than squeezing to release (and home-made generally works out cheaper). I made this after struggling for ages with a pair of pointy end tweezers, dropping large lumps of hot glass all over the place... I'm working on some better designs than my current bit of bent wire and - who knows? - when perfected, might just try marketing it!
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

fionaess

Hot fingers and straight on the kiln floor...

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

garishglobes

Those marble holders do look interesting  :)  I use my sponge forceps for getting the marble into the kiln (or sometimes I just tip it out of the marble mould!) and have constructed little triangles of 4mm rods to hold it in place once there. I can't see any reason at all not to put it onto the floor of the kiln.

Redhotsal

You could put some ceramic fibre or vermiculite on the shelf to stop the marble from rolling away. You shouldn't put it on the shelf while it is hot enough to dent anyway so the fibre/vermiculite won't stick if it is cool enough.

Steampunkglass

Welllllll........... good old fibre matting in the kiln is a good start, but make sure marble isn't still glowing too much on the base, else you'll pick up bits of it on the marbles. Also - and this may sound daft - go to your local pound shop and get a pack of those big aluminium disposable pie tins, and pop one underneath your torch. It won't catch every marble, and some do bounce, but it'll help stop them rolling away so easily (the other method, which I personally employ, is to only clean my workbench every 6-12 months so there is enough clutter the marble finds something to stick to or block it's path as it tried to roll onto the floor  ::) ::) ::) ) Also old large pyrex dishes or petri dishes inside the kiln can be used to keep them in place, but again take care the marbles aren't too hot else they'll stick to the dish and any marbles already in these. Fibres' better I think as it makes sure they all stay spaced out. I know Drew Fritts talks about 'popcorn salt' and silica sand, but not sure I want any more dust in my kiln! (And not sure if popcorn salt is just salt or some American version of something potters use?  ??? ??? ???)

Those marble tongs are really worth while, but aren't ideal for small marbles as the marbles will go though the holes! Also you need to take care not to squash them too tight to start with if the marble is too soft else you'll dent it - in which case you're transferring it too soon off the punty. For small marbles like Emma' suggested those forceps you get that are made for sponges are really good, if you don't mind some metalwork you can even bend the tips to make a () shape and I've even heard of people grinding off the grip/pattern inside them to make them smoother so less chance of marking your marble.

And don't worry, I'm sure you won't send me around the twist  ;) (I went there years ago! :D :D :D)

Pat from Canvey

I had the same problem too so put ceramic fibre in the kiln. I use a variety of implements to transfer marbles and other boro pieces. Hemostats, tipping from the marble mold or these kitchen tongs,  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chef-Aid-W238-Kitchen-Tongs/dp/B000TASKI0/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1402899077&sr=1-8&keywords=tongs+cooking

Rascal

Brilliant, thanks for all the advice, just need to get through a week of work for more play time.  Even through the frustration I can see why they are addictive to make. See you in July Glenn, looking forward to it.

Hamilton Taylor

I have an sc2 form marbles, and I put a bit of wood under the front legs so they roll to the back. I put mine straight on the floor, too.

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Rascal on June 16, 2014, 08:00:39 AM
Brilliant, thanks for all the advice, just need to get through a week of work for more play time.  Even through the frustration I can see why they are addictive to make. See you in July Glenn, looking forward to it.
;D ;D ;D ;D

I wonder if the whole 'don't put glass on the kiln floor' thing is a hang over from advice for fusers, or when controllers were less reliable (and prone to go mad and stick on full) to stop, when there was a chance of getting molten glass stuck on the kiln floor?  ??? ??? ???

Hamilton Taylor

I think there is a fair issue with using the kiln floor, in that, if you have not allowed the final punty firepolish to cool sufficiently, you could get distortion from rolling. Of course, the solution is to make sure the glass is solid before kilning...  ;)