Main Menu

Attempt at a vortex pendant

Started by Pat from Canvey, June 06, 2014, 08:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

I wanted to try this at home but had difficulty getting sufficient heat into the mass of glass. Thoughts of a torch upgrade spring to mind. I'm already using a 10ltr oxycon, Any suggestions for a new torch? My old Carlisle mini CC is getting a bit knackered.

Steampunkglass

Are you working too far up the flame? You can work closer down where it's a little hotter, but I've not used a Carlisle so am not sure how wide the flame is, otherwise it's all looking good  ;D

garishglobes

Looking good from here too  :)  I've no experience at all with the Carlisles so can't help either but I have heard that the new Bethlehems are nice torches. It might be good to be able to try one on a 10l oxy before committing, though.

Pat from Canvey

I've made another seahorse now which has come out a bit better than the one I made in Emma's class.

DragonArtGlass

ajda

Nice work, Pat - I like the seahorse's little red beret... Come to think of it, with that and his stripey shirt all he needs is a string of onions and a bicycle to be the archetypal Breton seahorse... Or is there a touch of the Cornish wrecker about him? Certainly quite a character!

I went from Carlilse Mini CC to Bethlehem Bravo when those were quite new on the market - I was lucky to get one direct from the US relatively cheap. Tuffnells currently have an ex-demo from the flame-off for £810, which isn't a bad price for the UK. It is pretty good on one 10 lpm oxycon, even better on two... A lot of the boro colours prefer an oxygenating atmosphere, so even when you aren't working with a particularly big flame it's useful to have plenty of oxygen available. I love the dual controls, so you can work small and concentrated on the inner fire alone or big and broad on the outer and inner together. I love the Carlisle too - but it's great to have a bit more firepower...
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Pat from Canvey

Thanks for that Alan. It's useful information.

firedinglass

Lovely Pat! I upgraded from a Carlisle  as I found the flame just wasn't big enough for larger beads. I now have snorted mid range with the minor flame on top . if I could have afforded it , I think in hindsight , I would probably have been better with a Bethlehem.

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

garishglobes

Oh, I do like that seahorse! He does look French with his red and blue  :). The blue stripes are also like the sea, with white waves.