LPG equipment Safety Cert?

Started by Lakelady, May 08, 2012, 02:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakelady

I have been asked to provide a Safety certificate for my portable Hot Head set up, for demo's at events - finding it difficult to find someone gas registered who is trained in LPG...what have other people done?
Turner Rowe Glass Art

ARBeads

From my old H&S days you'll struggle and we would never have asked for one, what we always expected was a risk assessment that included an inspection/maintenance schedule.

Try a risk assessment along the lines of -  all parts and joints visually checked prior to and during use. Never left unattended. All push fit connections/pipe/regulators replaced after an interval (eg every 2 years or after so many hours use which ever soonest, hard one to monitor). Propane bottles supplied and maintained by whoever your supplier is  -that's part of your rental.

This shows you've thought of the maintenance and replacement.

Get the organiser to clarify what they want, personally I think they're just trying to cover all bases and haven't got the foggiest. I've always found it easiest to speak to the H&S person, all they're really after is evidence that your going to be sensible and you've considered all the hazards.

Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Lakelady

I spoke to the H&S rep - he has said that I need to fill in the form and the safety cert is a requirement regardless - the fire brigade put me in touch with someone who want to charge £85... I am now looking for a registered bod that does caravan site safety certs....I can't get around it - they have my professionally prepared risk assessment but won't waive the cert....  I wouldn't mind but it's them that asked me to do the event and do demo's!  I now do an Artisan market, run by a local authority and they don't require one....very annoying and blinking expensive!
Turner Rowe Glass Art

tomcat

well you could tell them as they asked you to do it - its their cost ? maybe they will then change their minds on the must have aspect of it!
Mark - Blog - http://beadsbeerandphotos.blogspot.co.uk/
Life is not a game - its THE game, so play it like you mean it
A Long time ago in Egypt cats were worshipped as Gods, cats have not forgotten this !

Lakelady

Nice idea but I don't think they will go for it!  If they think they have to shell out they will change their minds quick sharp about wanting demos  ;D In any case, I am booked for quite a few, so it can't help having it in place and I do think that before long it will be a requirement, so this is a heads up!
Turner Rowe Glass Art