How do you get a button off the mandrel?

Started by Tollgate-Debs, October 29, 2009, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Bluebottle

madpup

button off the mandrel? no probs do what i do, wait a while button/bead falls in half leaving mandrel free  :-[
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Krysia@No98

-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Tollgate-Debs

Update - made another button, double dipped and painted on bead release.  Then soaked in olive oil and it fell off in one piece!  Not a very pretty button, but skinnier than version one and a step in the right direction.

Debs  :D

Krysia@No98

Picture?

I am still to do the olive oil thing, must get my but into gear

Tollgate-Debs

I'll take a piccie, but no laughing please.  My beads are OK, but my button is a bit of a stinker!

Debs :D

Krysia@No98

no laughing.  buttons are bloomin hard.  Making one that is both of the mandrel and not broken is quite an achievement - really

Pat from Canvey

Fosterfire Smooth and Tuff is the recommended bead release for curved mandrels because you just pull the bead from the mandrel, no twisting involved. It would also work well for button mandrels. I've used it but I think it's only available from USA. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I may have bought it from Zoozii. If so, Martin might consider importing it with his presses orders.

Hotglass28

Have you tried soaking it for a while then grabing the bead and tapping end of the mandrel on a concrete floor, both ends. Might need to grasp the bead with a towel just in case it cracks in your hand.

I have done this before, had to be brutal with it too.

Denise
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name