Main Menu

Beads won't etch!

Started by Taylor Made, September 14, 2009, 05:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor Made

I have some beads that just won't etch!

Normal effetre glass, annealled, etc, but they are just not playing.

I have had them in for well over the time (in fact after 40 mins, I got worried so took them out),

Not a change, still nice and shiny???

Help, any suggestions?

Sam :(
Live each day like its your last, cos' one day it's gonna be!

Mary

How frustrating! Some colours just don't etch. Have you etched this colour before? Or were you wearing handcream when you cleaned them or something?

Trudi

Hi - I can't help with effetre, but just wanted to say that I find that bullseye doesn't etch!

Forester18

I had a similar problem and found a thick deposit of the crystals had formed in the bottom of the fluid. Make sure ALL the crystals have disolved before using the fluid.
Frederick

Funky Cow

I hesitate to say this, in case you laugh so loud I hear you from here - but when I started etching, I didn't realise that I had to take the beads out and wash and dry them before seeing how etched they were. I didn't realise that they'll always look shiny in the solution  ;D

Only saying, in case I'm not the only one...  ::) ::) ::)

I'll get me coat  :P
Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

Sarah

Quote from: Funky Cow on September 15, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
I hesitate to say this, in case you laugh so loud I hear you from here - but when I started etching, I didn't realise that I had to take the beads out and wash and dry them before seeing how etched they were. I didn't realise that they'll always look shiny in the solution  ;D

I'll hold my hand up to this one too  ::) :-[

Kaz

Opal colours won't etch.
Could be crystals.
Could be old bead release - mine did stop working eventually.
Could be you have accidentally neutralised it - are you dipping tweezers in and out into bicarb solution (I have done this one!)
Could be you have not neutralised and washed the beads and dried them to see that they have actually etched.
Other than that - no idea!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Trudi

Quote from: Sarah on September 15, 2009, 10:15:02 PM
Quote from: Funky Cow on September 15, 2009, 06:15:17 PM

I'll hold my hand up to this one too  ::) :-[

You're not alone!

Taylor Made

Thanks for suggestions

Not actually sure what issue is, guess those just go down to experience

I will confess first time I etched I too didn't realise had to take them out etc!

Sam
Live each day like its your last, cos' one day it's gonna be!

Steampunkglass

try a quick wash with fairy liquid then a good rinse to remove it, that might help in case there is a film of anything on the bead surface, I wash them first to remove any fingerprint grease else you can end up with it acting as an anti-etch mask and get badly etch areas

(and I did the 'why's nothing happened to them? thing too!  :D )