Main Menu

Round Bead

Started by Sam, September 06, 2009, 01:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Can anyone please tell me how to make a round bead with dimples.

I can make a doughnut bead with dimples but if my life depended on it (which okay is unlikely ;D) I cannot make a round bead WITH dimples ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam.

Sarah

Hi Sam

I use a doming block to shape which, if you get the amount of glass right (the diameter must be a little less than the dome you are using), should give you a round bead with a dimple. But, if it doesn't, then this is how you can add a dimple to any bead.

Once you have made your bead let it cool slightly so that he glass is solid. Gently (very) heat the rim of the bead close to the mandrel - once it just warm, hold the mandrel vertically and let gravity take over. The rim will droop just a little and you will have a dimple. Do this to both sides - but be very gentle with the heat or you will lose your shape.

Hope this helps

Sarah
xxx

Sam

Thanks Sarah,

Will give it a go ;D

Sam.

julieHB

That's great advise!

You may enjoy reading a round bead tutorial by Diana Ferreira as well (as well as drool over all her beautiful lampwork art..):

http://deesignedbeads.blogspot.com/2009/03/perfect-round-bead-again-and-again.html
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

cwest

Drat, wish I had known about Diana before! I have just, today, arrived back from Cape Town. Had a lovely 2 weeks looking at spring flowers and walking in the hills of the Western Cape.

Carolyn