blowing shards....***update with pics***

Started by Zia, August 13, 2009, 08:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zia

I love them...and wanna try making my own...been reading up on all the info put here...and before I start just want to ask if there is anything last minute tips from you wonderful beady ppl out there.

xxx

now for the update... thanks for the encouragement and tips received... I am now the proud owner of a few pots of home made shards! Of all the glassy things I think I love them the most...xxx thanks for looking

Melting glass again! "happy dance"

Veebee

Beeee Careful!!!!!!
( I've had my mandrels for a month and still haven't plucked up the courage!!)
Have fun  ;D
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

Zia

lol thats my problem too, havent the courage.......
I am terrible, always burning myself, and now I am already imagining not being able to eat for a while due to lip burns or something......although.....it would be good for the diet.....hard to explain to the doc though.....ugh got the blisters while blowing..hehehehe....sits back and tries to pluck up courage...

Redhotsal

When you first blow into the molten gather there is a bit of extra pressure to get the bubble into the gather of glass. It's a bit like when you first blow up a balloon. SO - reduce the blow pressure immediately the bubble starts to form or you will over blow the gather and make the shards too thin.

Confetti-like paper thin "shards of doom" are the very LAST thing you want to be breathing in as they float around your studio.  :o :o :o

Zia

oh gosh, now I am not scared of burning I am terrified of breathing in shards of doom..... :P no risk no fun they say....should I wear a mask.....no that wont work either for I would not be able to blow then.....notice the panic....

xxx

Redhotsal

It's actually pretty difficult to burn yourself blowing shards, so don't worry there. But it is easy to overblow the glass bubble - you really want to try and avoid doing that, 'cos you don't want the bubble to burst - that's when you get the confetti.

Just practise blowing  a small bubble - get your gather nicely formed on the end of the blowpipe - you can use your marver for this, if you want to - and then return it to the heat until the gather is glowing. Don't forget to keep the tube rotating as you blow or your bubble will sag.

Actually - the biggest hazard is having your lips stick to the dry mandrel - so make sure you lick your lips before you pucker! It's actually not frightening once you have a go.

Zia

Sal....what would I do without you....

xxx

Zia

Jolene

Great advice from Sal there Veronica. It was Sal who taught me how to make my first shards ;D

Jo x

Les

Redhotsal

Quote from: Jolene on August 13, 2009, 11:34:08 PM
Great advice from Sal there Veronica. It was Sal who taught me how to make my first shards ;D

Jo x
Blimey - was it, Jo? I didn't remember that!   :o :o

Yes, wise words Les, "blow, don't' suck" applying to so many things in our lives!  :P ;)

Les

Jolene

Quote from: Redhotsal on August 13, 2009, 11:38:33 PM
Quote from: Jolene on August 13, 2009, 11:34:08 PM

Jo x
Blimey - was it, Jo? I didn't remember that!   :o :o

I brought the shiney new blowpipe that I was too scared to even try to use to the "Corina" course and you showed me how to make 'em and how to use 'em. You sorted out all my encasing woes that week too! ;D

Zia

and Jo is my inspiration...

wonders if I should just wait until I can afford a trip to england.......

xxx
thanx