Who fuses in a Bead Cube???????

Started by Lee - Kilncare, August 07, 2009, 05:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee - Kilncare

Right team FH ;), I am getting this question asked more and more.

Can a Bead Cube be used to fuse?

We only market this kiln as an annealer but, as the kiln will reach 920c, people are obviously asking the question.

We run some tests here in the early days and the results seemed fine, but, we are kiln experts not glass artists.

So I'm interested to know what, if any, level of success people have had fusing in the little fella.

The fact that it has a gap across the door doesn't bode well for favourable results but let's see.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Zeldazog

Not gone one, but willing to trial it for you  ;)

mizgeorge

Can't help on the fusing, but I can tell you it's fab for silver clay :)

Lee - Kilncare

Tell me more, temperatures and size of work etc please

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

sarah t

i did not want to fuse i wanted to slump !!........but being able to make small fused things might be nice too  ;D.......

Flyingcheesetoastie

Tell you what Lee, if you send me one on a loan I'll tell you if you can fuse (tack/full), slump, enamel fire, cast and cook toasties in it!

I've done all of the above in my kiln-sitter fired kiln and the cube looks far more sophisticated!

(Plus I can do a contrast photo of the cube being eaten by my FK9!)

GoodMonkey

Quote from: Zeldazog on August 07, 2009, 05:11:19 PM

Go on Lee, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on  (Mrs Doyle stylee  ;D)

Zeldazog

Quote from: Zeldazog on August 07, 2009, 05:11:19 PM

And seeing as I'm not that far (just down the A50 a little bit), I'd even make you a cuppa too....

Hotglass28

I have a bead cube and I want to use it for when I start making my beads, but I have tried it for making cabs and I don't think I would want to do it all the time though. My bullseye glass gets shut off at 760 degres c in my large kiln but when I did it in the cube the digital read out said 910 and i was getting very worried!  I dont think I will be doing anymore full fires in the cube as I don't want to wear the little fella out ;)

Unless my probe is not working in the cube?

Love my cube though!
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Zeldazog

Quote from: Hotglass28 on August 24, 2009, 10:11:38 PM

I have a bead cube and I want to use it for when I start making my beads, but I have tried it for making cabs and I don't think I would want to do it all the time though. My bullseye glass gets shut off at 760 degres c in my large kiln but when I did it in the cube the digital read out said 910 and i was getting very worried!  I dont think I will be doing anymore full fires in the cube as I don't want to wear the little fella out ;)

Do you mean you'd set your programme to go to (whatever?) temperature but it went over?  I know that can happen if ramp up at full rate with some kilns, a bit like slamming on the brakes when you're driving - it takes longer to stop when you're going faster - so kilns can over shoot. 

Lee - Kilncare

O.K. HG, could you be more specific please as what you are saying certainly doesnt sound right to me.

If the control is set to full speed and to a temperature of 760c there will, as Zeld says, be a little overshoot sometimes but it shouldn't be going anywhere near 910c!

TWITTER @kilncare

Trudi

I know on my SC2 - if I want a full ramp I don't set it to 999 as it does overshoot - I class my full ramp as 900 and it works just fine! You could be having a similar issue???

Hotglass28

Hi sorry, didnt see the reply for me.

I took the cube up to 760 which took about an hour (I have forgotton what ramp rate I programed in when I did it)

Nothing was happening to the bulleye glass, not even the edges were smoothing which it should of done at that temp.

I took the cube up to 850, nothing much changes. I hold at this temp for 10 mins. Nothing.

Took up to 910 and things started to happen.  I backed out because the temp was bouncing up and down, but I did manage to get the bullseye to melt.

Was a while since I did it so I cant remember fully but I know I thought it very odd that it was taking its time to soften up the bullseye.

I was asked to return the probe but I really did forget. Lee would you like me to return it?

Cheers

Denise

Lee - Kilncare

yes mate, that would be a start point as 910 should have left you with a nice little blob stuck to the floor of your kiln :(

This does need checking and sorting for you matey.

TWITTER @kilncare

Hotglass28

Yup, thats what I thought.

What would you like me to do. Send the probe to you via recorded this week? I assume its the probe thats wrong?

Cheers Lee.  I know I should of sorted this out long ago. Brain like a goldfish!