rough silver dots, any tips to get them smooth?

Started by LittleHen, June 19, 2009, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleHen

I've been making some simple beads with fine silver wire wrapped then melted to form dots on the surface. I'm pleased with the look of them but the dots feel a bit rough and I'm not sure it would feel nice against skin when made into a necklace.
So if anyone has any tips I'd be very grateful.
Cheers
Jessie

Vicki

I would just melt the silver in a little more  :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Try a little bit of wet and dry sandpaper, soak it first so its good and wet and just rub it lightly over them, use a very fine grade though

Lush!

Quote from: Vicki on June 19, 2009, 06:12:59 PM
I would just melt the silver in a little more  :)

Me too!

You could put them back in the kiln then waft em in the top of the flame and melt the rough bits down.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

flaming beads

i've had this sometimes too! and as long as they're not too rough, i've found that using my bead reamer does just he job! just use it gently over the offending area...although, julies idea of popping them back in the kiln is a great idea :)

shallybags

Does this problem have anything to do with getting the silver too hot?  I've only used silver wire in one session and found that the only bead that worked well was the one that I kept on the cool side.  The silver stayed smooth and shiny even though it melted into dots in some areas.  All the other beads were really rough and unpleasant to look at.  I'd be interested in any advice anyone has about applying silver wire and leaf.

Shallybags

flaming beads

mmm!...not sure if geting them too hot makes any difference!?...infact...the hotter they get the quicker the wire melts and all but disappears in some places. have you noticed that when heating, a hole can open up under the wire? i have found that if i've missed that happening, that can be a cause of the roughness!
foils lovely ;D and not to mention easy to use, with no danger of rough patches ;)

shallybags

Thanks, I'll try again with silver wire.  I had a really nice session this weekend, despite the heat, using silvered ivory stringer, as found in Passing the flame.  Got some very nice results with silver leaf wrapped around ivory and pulled thin.  Unfortunately they are a commision, never mind I can always make some more.   :)

Shallybags