Fine silver.....or not

Started by DellaUK, June 18, 2009, 09:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DellaUK

Hi all,

I bought some fine filver 0.3mm wire from Palmers, and my first attempt at using it is on the right below.  The bead on the left is one I made in my evening class on a Minor.  I am using a hothead at home.

Is it possible that I've managed to create this mess due to my torch, too much heat or something, or do you think I may have been sent Sterling silver instead of fine silver?

Thanks for your advice.  Hope the photo works....my first attempt

ebay: goodturnlampworkdella  web: www.goodturnlampwork.co.uk

DellaUK

Now going back to read how to get photos smaller..... ::)

Hels4444

Hi there thats strange i bought a reel of 99.9 silver fine wire from palmer silver and its doing the same.  i have tried and tried and cannot get a silver shine.  I have only used silver from dragon fly Lynn before I never had this problem, I wonder if there is something wrong with the silver then??

I have re ordered from Lynne today and now have a whole reel of useless silver wire!!!! :(

DragonflyLynne

It will be in the post tomorrow Helen  :)

for chain maille supplies, kits & workshops, bespoke headpins, earwires and more! Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup! Dragonfly (Lynne)

Hels4444

You are a star Lynne, I have an order and I have been tearing my hair out!!!!!! I definately won't be going else wear again!!!

Helen

♥♥Tan♥♥

That doesnt seem right and its an awful lot of pennies to lose, I hope you guys get it sorted

Hels4444

I might take it to newmarket on sunday and have a chat with them, i don't like complaining and can be a bit of a chicken but won't hurt to ask.

GoodMonkey

Take your beads with you so that you can show them the difference.  They are usually very good with their customer care.

Hels4444

Oh thats a fab idea thank you would never have thought that!!

turnedlight

I'm sure they would want to get to the bottom of it, if they are sending out the wrong things or being supplied the wrong things..
kathryn

Wishing Wells Glass

Well.... I ordered some fine silver from Palmers to make headpins.  They sent it, marked as fine silver, and I cut it up into lengths for headpins.  Well, when I started to use my cook's torch on the ends it became quite apparent that it was, in fact, Sterling silver.  They gave me a hard time with exchanging it as I had cut some of it to length.  They also wanted me to return the wire AND pay for postage myself prior to receiving the proper wire.  After MANY phone calls they finally relented and sent the replacement wire (which was the real fine silver this time) and sent a pre-paid envelope for me to send the Sterling wire back in.

It was a verrrry aggravating experience.  The fact that this is happening more than once definitely makes me go 'hmmmmmm'.  All in all I like Palmers and use them for a lot of my Sterling silver findings and fine silver wire for headpins.  However, I now use Scientific Wire Company (www.wires.co.uk) for reels of fine silver wire for beadmaking.

Stand up for yourself and don't let them give you the run around!  They've made the mistake and you should not pay for it.

x

DellaUK

Great - sounds like I may have made the right diagnosis - I sent Palmers an email yesterday with a photo of a good bead and theirs....and no response yet.  Think I'll need to call and get them to agree to replace and send an envelope.

Thanks for the advice.

flaming beads

i also use palmers and the same wire...just taken posession of some .4 which seems to be ok and my last 3 lots of .3 have been good....fingers crossed though, as i'm waiting for some more .3 hopefuly on monday/tuesday. will know what to do if it's not good! :)

Hels4444

I spoke to palmer silver yesterday and she was fantastic, took the wire and is going to get it analysed and then take it up with her supplier. She is getting a new batch in today and  is sending me a new reel.  she is really worried that she has been misold some by her supplier.  She was really lovely ( sorry forgot her name!!)

Helen

DellaUK

And I got a really nice email today from Amanda the MD saying that she is posting a replacement from another supplier today, with a SAE to send the other back.

Great service!