Possibly a very stupid question about Frit?

Started by lampworklover, June 02, 2009, 11:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lampworklover

Okay, I thought I would have a play around with some of the lovely frit that i bought from Sam at the Flame Off; I have already used the 'ordinary' ones, but tonight I had a go with iris blue (reduction frit).

I'm using a Hothead, and after I had melted the frit into the bead  (marshmallow white base bead), I covered the holes on the HH with some foil and put the bead back into the flame. It's the first time I have tried it!

My bead is lovely and shiny, sort of metallic.....and brown  ??? Is this right? I must admit I was kind of hoping for shiny metallic blue! Have I over/under worked the frit? Used the wrong part of the flame? There was a turquoise cone rather than the usual blue, and I was working about 1 1/2" from the top of that.

All suggestions/ comments gratefully received!

Mary

Not a silly question! Reduction flames are sooty. Work further out than usual, and only wave the bead through the flame. If it gets sooty you can usually rescue it by putting it back in a normal flame. Hope that helps!

Vicki.White

I can't admit to know what i'm talking about, but I use a hot head, and I reduce glass by flashing and spining it the the Blue Lower part of the flame, that you would normally stay away from... I don't know how right I am by doing it... but it works great for me!!! :D
xxx

littlegiggles

LOL Vickie... you must have glass pixies cos theoretically that should make the beads sooty and burn in the heat making them all brown... and just where did you get your pixies

lampworklover

Thanks girls! Will try 'waving it about' further up the flame  ;D

Mind you, the brown is very pretty, and on another bead it looks just like haematite!

Vicki.White

Quote from: littlegiggles on June 03, 2009, 08:37:00 AM
LOL Vickie... you must have glass pixies cos theoretically that should make the beads sooty and burn in the heat making them all brown... and just where did you get your pixies
??? oh dear!!!  :-[

littlegiggles

awww sorry... that wasnt meant to be a criticism... I'm just amazed, honestly.  Keep doing what works

garishglobes

I used to do that too! I think it is the reducing part of the flame :) We must be sharing pixies  :)

Vicki.White

hehe, i like the thought of pixies!  ;D
don't worry about it!!! i will defintaly by giving the the foil over the holesa go, to see if i get a cleaner look...
to be very honest  :-\, I'm not totally sure i've got the reducing and the striking down yet ...! I'm feeling like it's a bit like the offside rule... lol. i feel like i should know what it means... but still very confused and hazzy about the whole thing! haha :-( i need a lesson!!!
xxx