Main Menu

How do I use this!

Started by Zia, May 29, 2009, 09:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zia

When I bought my starter kit I also bought a pack of about 10 powders...(technically term unknown)
They look like fine icing sugar...and are glittery.
The lady showed me some beads covered in them and it is supposed to make the bead look matted in copper silver gold and all sorts of reds and pearly colours.

I have tried using it but it seems there is more on my work table and everywhere else than on the bead.....and when it actually lands on the bead it seems to burn....so no nice golden colours...

Does anyone know what this is (its not enamel) and how to use it properly.

thanks

xxx
V
Melting glass again! "happy dance"

Les

sounds like mica ??

sorry.... I've only ever tried them once, and got poopy results, so I'm no help =oS

squirsygirl

I don't know what you've go there, but it sounds like you should be wearing a mask - glassy powders / enamels etc are not meant to be inhaled.

Wipe up your spills with a damp cloth too.

Someone will be along soon to tell you what you've got and how to use it,

have fun!

Kirsty

Zia

Diane

I've had mixed results with these mica powders but read recently that you have to have your bead glowing for the powders to adhere properly - they won't just stick onto a very hot bead but will rub off when cool. I put the powder  into a foil jam tart thingy (jam tarts - yummy ;D) and then rolled the bead round in it bring into flame and heat again - you can tell what's stuck if you tap the mandrel. Be careful - use extraction and a mask. I did wonder if it was worth the effort ???

Diane x

Redhotsal

It's Pixy Dust.
You dip the bead into it like frit or enamel and then take the bead back to the flame but only for a few seconds to "fuse" the powder onto the bead. And that's it. If you overheat it it'll go manky and in my experience it's not great when encased.
It is actually a mica powder - I tend not to use it too much, becuase as you say it goes absolutely everywhere.
You can get nice glittery or pearlescent sheens with it though.

Lush!

I love it!

But ... I find the little packets difficult to use.  Try decanting into a small thin jar, maybe a spice jar, or a pot that some frit came in.  Then if you make your bead quite close to the end of the mandrel, you can poke it into the jar and turn it in the powder to coat.  This prevents too much dust from flying around too.

And as the others said, your bead needs to be quite warm to make the dust stick - but not too hot or it will get squashed when you put it in the dust - and you must go back into the flame, just long enough to ensure the dust is properly adhered. 

After cooling, I like to rub the bead to make sure that any unstuck dust has come off completely so you're left with a subtle shimmer.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Zia

Pixie Dust......sounds lovely....Will remember the name now!

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely try it again.
The tip with decanting it is great too...off to buy something metal to put them into. I have the spice jars but they are plastic and will prolly melt when I put the mandrel into it!

I am learning so much here...amazed at what I bought at first without knowing what it is...(newbie overeagerness!)

It was pretty expensive and would be a waste not to give it another shot. Should have bought silver foil instead.....grins

Thanks again

Steampunkglass

I was going to say Mica too. Mostly they will have a 'colour' (it's a very subtle tint) and I've found they either work best by matching or contrasting with the glass colour underneath; so if you put red mica or red beads you get a nice pink effect, but over green is a more two tone effect. Over white any of the colours make a nice opal effect (well that's what I've found but haven't played with them for ages)

I used to use them with ormaline paints (a very nasty celulose based paint) without a mask, ekk! I think the dust warning is because of the very fine nature makes it easy to breathe in. When I was dealing with this stuff I worked with a lady from south affrica who remembered playing with mica where it naturally occured near where she lived. As a little girl she would rub it onto her arms to make them look glittery!