bead release problem...

Started by Ness, May 11, 2009, 11:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ness

Arggghhh.. please help.

I've had two 'failures' with my bead release in the middle of a lentil.  Obviously with an opaque bead it wouldn't matter so much, but with these it's a sod.  What am I doing wrong?  I didn't think I was trying to wind glass that wasn't hot enough, but..... :'(

* sniff**sniff*  I was so pleased with these until this happened!!!!  I'm using Fusion, if that makes any difference.

Lush!

Oh no!

Was it definitely dry?

Was it too dry?  (ie how long since you dipped?)

Too thin? Too thick?

Not being very helpful really, am I  :(

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

sarah t

they are lovely .... how annoying  ..... but they did come off the mandrel....i welded three on to mine yesterday  >:(....shame they dont make bead release in different colours then it would like you did it on purpose ...no idea what went wrong ....just a bit of moral support

theflyingbedstead

In addition to what Julie said, I have had issues with grubby mandrels which can loosen the bead release when it gets hot, particularly with heavier beads.  So now I always clean my mandrels each time I use them with wire wool, and so far so good!
Charlotte x

Ness

:D  Definitely dry.  Dipped day before I used it.  Maybe too thin, just one dip of thinned down Fusion - it had gone very thick.

Thanks for moral support Sarah!!  Luckily, I haven't had any beads that I couldn't get off ... yet!!!

Aaah, grubby mandrel - maybe that's it...  thanks, will clean them before next use :)

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Ness, have you cleaned the bead yet? It doesn't look like you have and the problem might not be quite so obvious when you do.

LesleyMac

I have noticed if you overheat the mandrel before you apply the glass then it sometimes breaks, usually if its your best ever bead.   :'(
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

Redhotsal

If that's a lentil the release has failed 'cos you crushed it too hard. Happens to me if I'm over zealous with the press, regardless of what bead release I've got on there.

Ness

Ah, Sal - I think yoiu may have cracked it!  Over-zealous pressing of the lentil.  Uh-huh, that's most likely it. 
I shall try a little gentle-Ness next time ;)

Donna, I think I need a new reamer - they are cleaned as best I could manage! :-\

Stacy

Wasn't there some kind of hole cleaner that was doing the rounds at the Flame Off.
If you were able to get really clean holes (which I think this stuff was supposed to do) you wouldn't see the centres.

LesleyMac

I have tried the bead release cleaner and you can still see the center however I am not complaining because its so much easier to clean using it than the hand reamer or even a drill.  Good stuff.
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

Ness

Ok -I think I need to try this stuff, because I'd like to clean the holes properly.  So where can I get the bead release cleaner from?

Trudi

They are gorgeous beads too!