Poky proddy things...

Started by lampworklover, May 04, 2009, 08:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lampworklover

Okay, I finally lit my own torch and made beads unsupervised this weekend; yay!  ;D ;D I'm so pleased to be up and running at last, Flame Off seems like yonks ago. Thank you to all the lovely people who have sent me stuff to get started  :-* :-* :-*

I tried a two-colour bead, and wanted to swirl the colours about a bit; I used a dental pick that a fellow FH'er very kindly sent me, and it stuck to the glass. Do I need to heat it up beforehand/ use a lighter touch/ or buy a tungsten pick?

Any advice very welcome!

Les

A tungsten pick is the best thing really... but dental picks are great too.... you probably just need to keep the tip really chilled, by sipping it in some cold water every time you use it. If the tip gets too hot, the glass will stick.

HTH ? :)

lampworklover

Lovely, thanks! Will keep it in the jam jar between proddings  ;D

Les

Even now I still mess up beads cos I forget to get a jar of water when I start a session, LOL

You could always use a bit of stringer to swirl the glass around too :)

lampworklover

Quote from: Les on May 04, 2009, 08:35:00 PM
Even now I still mess up beads cos I forget to get a jar of water when I start a session, LOL

You could always use a bit of stringer to swirl the glass around too :)

Haha! yes, I tried making them today too. Far too thin! I think I was pulling a bit too enthusiastically (but I did use them).

hollergrafik

Tina I will send you one with ya press x

lampworklover

Quote from: hollergrafik on May 04, 2009, 08:46:50 PM
Tina I will send you one with ya press x

You is bad! But Thank You  :-* :-*

Dragonfire Glass

If your rake sticks, wait a little moment and it will 'unstick' as it cools quicker than the glass does. Don't just pull  :)

Vicki

you could use a mandrel with the end bent into a rake...I turn all my bent mandrels into rakes, I have lots of them  ;D

Mand

and I have lots of bent mandrels - oh and melted ones  ;)

lampworklover

Hmm, reckon I must be doing it wrong; I haven't bent a mandrel yet, or melted one. Give me time..... (mind you I have managed to turn turquoise glass into something that looks rather like silver, shame the bead went utterly pear-shaped  ;D)

Mand