Main Menu

burning?

Started by Ness, March 17, 2009, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ness

If my beads/fritty bits are pitted in places - does this mean I've 'burnt' them?  ???Or is is devitrification?  How do I avoid it, and are there any particular glasses that burn more easily? 

I've had the problem with frit as well, like these:  I really liked these beads but even after etching they still look very pitted. :'(

Your advice would be much appreciated!!
Cheers, Ness

♥♥Tan♥♥

Hiya Ness, some glasses do pit very easily indeed, the copper blue springs to mind, and others pit if they are over heated, some of the reichenbach colours do that and some of them will pit and go fuzzy if they are taken out of the heat and put back in again.

I'm sorry I know that isn't much help, but one tip I can give you is keep going until your bead is decorated and the shape is finished then put the bead back into the flame and heat it up until glowing and you should see the pits slowly start to fill in, as soon as they are smooth, take it out, let it cool and pop it in the kiln

If you still have problems with a certain frit just treat it as an ageing frit, pitted etched organics look fantastic ;)

Ness

Thanks Tan, great tip - I guess it's all trial and error and experience. 
I love this frit, and though pitted I still like these beads, I just wasn't sure about their 'worthiness'!

♥♥Tan♥♥

Sometimes a different colour base helps, transparent or opaque, I know white isn't the most thrilling of bases but its very forgiving so if you have a problem frit try it on white and see what happens

Lush!

What is the frit, Ness?  It looks like its got some purple in it?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Redhotsal

They may have actually boiled as opposed to burnt. Some colours are more prone to this than others. Try a gentle flame polish higher up towards the top of the flame to smooth over the pits.
If you see little orange "pops" on the glass surface as you heat it, the glass is actually boiling and you must take down the heat to prevent this. This usually means working up higher in the flame. HTH
By the way - all beads are worthy.  ;)

Ness

Thanks Sal, I thought I was probably getting a bit hot!!

Julie, it's either (BeadySam's) Regal Robes (which I intended) or Rose Burst (got my jars muddles and don't know which I used!)  I have built up quite a frit stash!!!!! Yum!