Main Menu

Rust

Started by Dee Dee, March 06, 2009, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donna@Rockin' Beads

If you have any liquid silver cleaner you could try that as it certainly works on Copper Green in a bead when it's gone too dark. That might affect the whole bead though.

Redhotsal

You can try the beads in an etch solution - just for a minute or so though - that will get rid of the rust. Or you can soak in fresh coca cola.

The best thing is to avoid the rust anyway - you are soaking for too long - I agree with Josephine - a minute or so should be fine.

If your beads are sticking it may be you haven't got a thick enough coating of bead release on the mandrel. Try double dipping. OR, you may be using something like Super Blue Sludge. This will stick like the proverbial to a spade if it is too thin or if the bead release has been dipped and left too long.

I found with Super Blue Sludge that if I left the mandrels for longer than a day dipped the beads would stick like glue, so always use it fresh - never leave dipped mandrels longer than a day.

You can try a different bead release like Fusion or Foster Fire to prevent sticking beads.

Trudi

You can also soak in lemonade overnight!

Josephine

I'd highly recommend Fusion, I very rarely have anything stick. As Sal said Blue Sludge is a nightmare unless you use the mandrels straight away.

saffie

bizarrely there are no "ingredients" on my bottle of cillit bang but this website has info
http://www.rbeuroinfo.com/

hope that helps
Sam

squirsygirl

Are you sure the mandrels are stainless steel?  Mild steel looks the same, until it's wet.  Stainless steel has an additive ( chromium? ) which stops it rusting, and mild steel mandrels don't work - you'll never get the bead off.  Mild steel will rust really quickly.

Are they new mandrels?

Kirsty

beadammed

I go with Sal.  I never soak my beads.  I use Fosterfire.  My beads always stuck with Blue sludge.  Try a different bead release.
Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

Dee Dee

The mandrels are about 5 months old - I think.

However, I've come back from the shops with Easy Off - BAM - what a phenomenal recommend - thanks.  Beads off the mandrels no problem - and with a short soak and rub with a cloth - rust gone too!

I will remember in future to not leave my beads soaking in water anymore!  Lesson learnt!

Thanks everyone!!