Main Menu

Rust

Started by Dee Dee, March 06, 2009, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Dee

Does this happen to anyone else?

After removing my beads on mandrels from the kiln, I place in water to soak to bead release to aid removal - it seems the mandrel produces a bit of rust which stains the bead hole!  This happens even on new mandrels.

The beads today were only soaking for a couple of hours.

Is there any way to remove this rust on the beads - it doesn't wash off?

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I've never had that problem and sometimes I soak mine for a day or so before I get round to taking them off the mandrel.

Are the mandrels rusty or do they look normal after being in the water?

Good luck finding an answer.

Dee Dee

No, they look normal!  And it's really frustrating because quite a few times a good bead goes in the fuglie pot because of it (including today!). Grrrrr!

sparrow

Never had that problem either....odd! Sorry I can't help you  :(
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

saffie

very very carefully when you clean out the bead release just run the dremel round the hole and remove the discolouration. very careful though cos it could chip the hole and make a bead useless!!! also be careful with the tyoe of glass you could affect transparent glass noticeably!!!

lesley

I wondered what this was!
I've had it with some bead sets I've bought in the past. I either just blow it out or rinse them under the tap.
Not you lot by the way. :)

Josephine

I dont think you need to leave the beads soaking for a couple of hours. I just put mine in a bowl of water and then start taking them off the mandrels straight away. The water is to stop the bead release going to dust rather than make the beads easier to remove. On occasion when I have left beads (fuglies or ones that have been difficult to get off) in water to soak I have had rusty marks sometimes.

Dee Dee

It seems to stretch too far into the bead to do that Saffie (sadly) - I ran off and took a couple of piccies - you can see on the bead it's gone as far as the foot - and to top it all - I still can't get the bl**dy bead off the mandrel!

It happens to me lots - on light colours - if I can't get the bead off the mandrel, so I leave it to soak!  Is there any better way to get a stuck bead off?

saffie

ooh never had that!!! how strange, are your rods stainless steel?

Dee Dee

Sometimes though, I get sidetracked and they get left in water.  The rust doesn't wash or scrape with fingernail off - any suggestions as to what might remove it?

Yep, they are stainless steel, bought from several glass suppliers - here and in the US.

saffie

i know some other things respond to coke and cillit bang (not sure if you have that in Australia!!!) could try coke though!!!

Dee Dee

I will try soaking in coke - I've looked for Cillit Bang before (after reading a post about it) and not seen anything here in Oz - what's the main component of it - might be able to find something similar?

saffie

not sure will have a look and let you know

Dee Dee

Just looked on Wikipedia and Cillit Bang is called Easy Off BAM in Australia, but not sure what variety I would need to get!

Dee Dee

Will be off to Coles (our supermarket) tomorrow to get some - It says on the Cillit Bang website that it tackles rust - so I am keeping my fingers crossed that not only will it remove the rust, but get the beads off the mandrel in the first place!