Bead making - do you do it professionally or just for fun?

Started by Redhotsal, March 05, 2009, 05:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you make beads for money, for fun or for both?

Do you make beads for a living?
17 (17%)
Do you make beads to sell but have a different "day job"
48 (48%)
Do you make beads just for fun?
35 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Flyingcheesetoastie

I've answered number one although I don't technically sell my beads, I just teach beadmaking.  I do sell all my other glass though and have to echo les in the thank goodnes for benefits department although haven't worked out tax credits so am scrounging housing benefit instead!

I'm not doing it to be rich though, I'm doing it cos that's what I have my degree in and what I love doing!  If I reach 30 and it's not supporting me then I have a re-think and join the fuzz!

In regards to this survey, although slightly off topic, I know the arts council did some research into how much an artist/craftsperson (hate that term!) needs to make to support themselves and how that translates into hours, especially admin hours (which actually comes under your business overheads, I think...)  I found it very interesting as I probably spend 60% of my time doing admin some weeks, though have spent about 60 hours this week covered in wax, plaster & have fired my big kiln for the first time, making the meter go whiiiiiiirrrrr.

Tracy

::)   hmm I am a just for fun learning kinda girl, very interesting read

beadammed

I voted the third option.  I'd like to be able to sell some beads to help pay for all the goodies but I'm not good enough yet, although people at work want to buy some of my stuff.  I know the quality isn't great so I'm not happy to sell but I do give some to friends.

Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

afina

Hi!
Sorry I voted, too, saw too late it was for UK beaders...
I votes no. 2. I work i an bank full day with overtime hours and all that. So I have only the weekends to make beads. Nevertheless, I try to go on at least 6 craftfairs a year to sell my jewellery - I don't sell single beads (except big hole beads for Pandorastyle bracelets). And in between I sell to friends and colleagues at work. And I started to give lampwork classes in Austria now.
I would love to work only parttime and have more time for making beads and jewellery - there are soo many ideas in my head I just don't have the time to try all that...
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

Studio Girl

I voted just for fun at  the moment very expensive fun

Redkite

Hi!

Just for fun because I don't think I'm good enough to sell anything (yet!!) But I have had admiring comments from girls at work. I work in a school, so I am thinking of trying a stall at the Christmas Fair next year!

At the moment I would really like to give up work and do lots of beading, because I am totally hooked but have so little time to do it. BUT:

a) It's probably that February life crisis thing. I have a strong urge to drop out and turn my life upside down every year at this sort of time. Must be a mild version of SAD!

b) If I could make beads whenever I wanted, would the novelty wear off? At the moment it is my special treat for one evening a week, and I would hate for it to become a chore!!

Cath