Main Menu

Which clear??

Started by Ness, February 25, 2009, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ness

I'm really keen to make some encased beads but am not sure which clear glass would be best for me.  I've tried with the clear effetre that came with my start-up bundle, and got scummy streaks on some beads ( did I burn it?  or work too low?). 
Should I get more and try again or would vetrofond be better for me?  I'm on a HH with bulk propane ( although I do have a can of MAPP somewhere..)

Your guidance would be appreciated! ;D

Hels4444

Hi there, if you are just learning effetre is a cheap option, try not to get it too hot in the flame its much less like so scum then, I would steer away from vetrofond, it can be a bit fussy and does not like to mix with a lot of cim colours and can be prone to cracking in my experience.  Cim clear is a good option and if money is no option you could always try Lausha.

Helen

theflyingbedstead

I bought Vetrofond when I first started and got a good tip from Sally (RedHotSal) to pull off the scummy end from a rod of clear before using it, and that does help a lot, but it does seem to burn easily if you get it too hot, and maybe you are finding that with the clear effetre?
I love Lauscha or Northstar clear when using silver rich glass, but they are a LOT more expensive and there are quite a few people who experience cpmpatability problems with Lauscha.  So, whilst you are still practicing a technique it may be better to try the less expensive clears and then when you are happy INDULGE!
I haven't tried the new effetre clear, and I think that I've heard it is an improvement, and I have found the CiM clear scums up more than the Vetrofond, but others have found the opposite, so it really is a personal preference.
Charlotte x

Soozintheshed

Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

Trudi

The effetre diamond clear 006 is excellent (you probably got 004 in your starter pack - and yes it scums)- I've tried this and love it - no problems with scumming. Good practise wit all clear rods in particular though - when they are new  - heat and nip off the end where it has been cut. And especially with clear, clean with something like a white spirit (well away from the flame!) and avoid touching it as much as possible to stop the grease from your hands getting on to it!

Vetrofond is good for HH as it is soft and melts easily - but you do need to keep niping off the ends even with used rods!

But both the effetre and Vetrofons are inexpensive and are good to practise with!

Hope that helps!

garishglobes

From experience, Vetrofond seems to have problems at higher working temperatures, so if you are on a Hothead, it may well be fine - and its cheaper than some of the others. If you are on a hotter torch (minor etc..) you may have to use something else as the Vetro seems to bubble and scum at the higher heats.

Rosenquartz

My main complaint with the Effetre I had was the time it took to heat up to a workable viscosity - which meant I rushed when on MAPP and ruined the base bead by squashing the pattern. I've brought some Vetrofond now (and am on bulk propane) and it seem softer. I haven't really tried encasing though yet.  Haven't noticed the scumming to be able to comment on that though.
Rosenquartz

turnedlight

Some batches of vetro have been scummy, others great.. I'm trying effetre crystal clear next, see how it goes!
kathryn