Main Menu

Making barrel beads

Started by turquoise, February 22, 2009, 04:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turquoise

Hi I am really loving the barrel shaped bead at the mo and wondered if anyone had any useful hints for making them. Or if there is a tutorial which would help me out?

Thanks
Vicky

www.morellobeads.co.uk

sparrow

I love using a lentil base as a marver ;)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

garishglobes

Or you could make a bicone, flatten the middle ridge slightly and then add heat to round off :)

clasicat

Get a Tube shaper this is my fav shape of bead and the one I make most often and I use my tube shaper all the time
http://www.cattwalk.com/formingtrays.htm#Tube%20Shaper
Claire x

Pat from Canvey

If by barrel you mean beer barrel, then a spoon will give you a reasonable shape. Put your mandrel accross  the spoon and rotate. The bowl will shape the bead provided you keep the mandrel touching the sides of the bowl. Use the size of spoon that fits the size of bead you want to make. I'm all in favour of using kitchen items to shape glass. A cheese grater makes a great pattern on plain beads.  ;D  ;D

Kaylee

Quote from: clasicat on February 22, 2009, 06:53:00 PM
Get a Tube shaper this is my fav shape of bead and the one I make most often and I use my tube shaper all the time
http://www.cattwalk.com/formingtrays.htm#Tube%20Shaper

Clasicat thanks for this, didn't know it existed - and I love this style of bead, couldn't figure out how to do it...

but now I'm blaming you  ;)  I have just bought it and a press as well!!!  Oops finger slipped.  Honest. Oh well too late now  ;D

TiaraHelen

Wow that tube shaper looks great - but I'm thinking tax, import duty, handling charges, falling exchange rate, OUCH! Don't suppose there's a change anyone has got one they don't want?:D
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

TiaraHelen

Helen x

garishglobes

I got mine from him - he's great, lovely guy and its unlikely to get stung for customs at that price. :)

TiaraHelen

Thanks for the tip, I've messaged him to check postage...
Helen x

beadysam

His P&P is usually reasonable, and although I've bought a few things from him, only once have I been caught by customs. ;)

TiaraHelen

bother, I bought it, how did that happen?
Helen x

mel

I make squat little barrels by making a biggish round bead, then marvering lightly and evenly at the waist which will elongate the bead slightly, then I gently heat the waist so it just rises up in a slight curve.
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

beadysam

Quote from: TiaraHelen on February 24, 2009, 10:21:02 AM
bother, I bought it, how did that happen?

I know, isn't it strange?  Things like that keep happening to me too - must be some sort of lampworkers curse! :o