etching and nailpolish

Started by princess pink, January 28, 2009, 01:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princess pink

Hello everyone

i want to etch a bead, ut only half of it. Am i right in thinking if i nail polish (clear) the bits i dont want etched then take the nailpolish off it'll be all shiny underneath?

thanks

Shahlaa x

Pam

I've done this and it works just fine. A bit fiddly with clear as you can't really see what you are doing to well. The nail varnish comes off really easily after which surprised me as I though I would have to pick at it.

Les

Yeh... I use really dark nail polish, then I can see more clearly where I have masked.
I rub it off under warm running water, that seems to help soften the nail polish up a bit :)

sparrow

I use bright pink, which works well on normal beads, but on a sculptural one in can seep into recesses where it's really difficult to get out of.......
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Les

I have that problem when I etch wings ... I keep meaning to buy some cocktail sticks to see if they'd make it easier...

sparrow

Yeah, I tried that, even hairs and nylon thread......it's a tiny spot of pink inside a clear chrysalis.....just had to keep it ;)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

princess pink

would i not need to use nailpolish remover to get it off? point taken about the clear, will use a white or something as am painting over coloured glass

Les

nope... it just peels right off :)

princess pink

awesome, cheers ladies, always knew you'd help! x

Hels4444

I have not tried etching yet what great tips thanks guys

Hels

Lloki

I've found that Elmers glue works as well.
Just paint it on and let it dry fully (I leave it overnight), etch as normal and then just wash off!
Cerri

mizgeorge

If you want fine lines, try a masquepen (from art shops)