Melted in designs using a press

Started by Trudi, August 09, 2008, 09:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Hi

I've been having a little trouble getting nice melted in flowers into a pressed bead. I mean the simple kinf of flowers 3 or 5 plain dots melted in then poked in the middle. I find that when I press them (I'm using clear base and opaque white for the flowers) the white flowers bleed into the base colour and I dont get a "crisp" petal.

I have tried making the basic press - adding the dots, not quite melting them flush and tap them with a marver to leave little raised dots - then melting in the middle - they are a little better, but not what I'm expecting!!

Can anyone help me out with some advise please!!  ;D

Thanks

Les

From what I remember, the bleeding issue could be solved by melting the dots in quite slowly, and maybe freezing the dots too... ie.. just touch the dot to a marver to prevent further spread, once they have been melted flush with the base bead....

Have I made any sense ??? I'm easily confused this evening... LOL

Lush!

Different glasses react differently to each other so maybe you could try a different white - or how about encasing your white stringer in clear first?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Trudi

Quote from: Les on August 09, 2008, 09:24:46 PM
From what I remember, the bleeding issue could be solved by melting the dots in quite slowly, and maybe freezing the dots too... ie.. just touch the dot to a marver to prevent further spread, once they have been melted flush with the base bead....

You lost me there!

beads-on-toast

HAve you got any pictures to show us?

Les

Quote from: shine-on2 on August 09, 2008, 09:33:14 PM
Quote from: Les on August 09, 2008, 09:24:46 PM

You lost me there!

LOL.... with all dot and stringer stuff, I melt in a slowly as I can to prevent too much spread and keep a crisp line ... and by just touching the freshly melted in dot to the marver will chill it enough to stop it spreading too far and bleeding...

Vicki

Trudi

Quote from: Vicki on August 09, 2008, 10:51:16 PM
what colours are you using trudi?

Got ya Les!!

Vicki I'm using effetre white for the flowers and for the base I've tried both trans emerald green & trans dark blue. 

Vicki

I wouldh've thought those colours would be ok  ???

Les

I had loads of bleeding hassleswhen I was first trying to figure florals out... the slow melt and chilling the dots worked for me .... it's almost as if the white disintergrates around the edges if you are too hot with it..

Trudi

Quote from: Vicki on August 10, 2008, 01:24:11 AM
I wouldh've thought those colours would be ok  ???

That's what I thought Vicki - guess I'll have to try out Les' tip!