Decided to invest in a Dremel

Started by Fruddy, November 18, 2011, 09:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruddy

....mainly for polishing the silver in my cored beads.

I currently do this by hand, with a silver polishing cloth, which does get them up nice, but is a lot of hard work and hand ache!

So, have decided to treat myself to a Dremel.

Question is, what sort of attachments do I need to buy specifically for polishing silver?? 

Thanks for your help.

★★Terri★★

I got some polishing mops etc from Cooksons that fit my Dremel.  Take a look for the ones they sell that fit the hand held dremel like tool that jewellers use - though that said I can't see them on their site now ???

Take a look at the Dremel UK site - the accessories are usually a lot cheaper from them than elswhere - and they have the full range.

http://www.dremeleurope.com/dremelocs-uk/category/2823/find-the-right-accessories?page=1&acc_ccat_id=5301&acc_sub_ccat_id=2915&acc_mat_ccat_id=3242

It's the calico ones you need.

awrylemming

I'm not getting a dremel this time around, I think I'm going to look at alternatives.  I found it somewhat expensive for what you get, and it's one of the things that was somewhat wettened in the house flood.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: awrylemming on November 19, 2011, 09:16:22 AM
I'm not getting a dremel this time around, I think I'm going to look at alternatives.  I found it somewhat expensive for what you get, and it's one of the things that was somewhat wettened in the house flood.

Sue, ask on Freecycle - there's sure to be loads of people with toys they never use.  They pop up from time to time on our local site.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

mizgeorge

In honesty, if it's for metalwork, a dremel is not really the right tool (other than their big pendant motor). For this sort of thing, you're just as well off getting one of the hobby tools with a flexshaft. Aldi/Lidl have them on offer pretty regularly, or something like this: http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/gmc-135w-multi-function-rotary-hobby-tool/ which takes multiple size accessories and can be used for bead cleaning as well.

Then you need a couple of mini mops (bristle for prepolish, swansdown for final), some felt cones/bobs for getting inside the core and a bit of compound - luxi is much nicer than tripoli/rouge because it's water based and far less messy.

awrylemming

It's a flexi shaft I'm after too.  I've never been too keen on working something electrical so close to water ....

tinker

Wilkinsons had one for £21 I noticed today - the make was Draper

awrylemming

I'll have a shuffle in there tomorrow ... ta xx  So what are you going to go for then Rach?