Main Menu

Problems with Rust and Jasper

Started by Steampunkglass, February 11, 2011, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkglass

Everytime I work with Northstar's Rust, and sometimes with GA's 'Jasper' (but not so as much as rust) I get metal particles gathering on the surface. Normally I pull them off, if I leave them they get bigger and start spitting - usually I see them forming as they form as bright spots on the surface. It's a pain as sometimes they form as I've nearly finished, thus ruining the work. I am guessing the metal is coming out because my flame is slightly reducing?  ???

I am not even sure what the metal is, I've tried buffing it up and it still looks dark and tarnished. Has anyone else had the same sort of problems with these colours???  ???

These two big spots I've buffed with rouge and my dremal, and still looks grotty, so I don't think it's silver

garishglobes

I think the metal is silver, but it could be copper? Copper might explain the icky colour. If you look at Northstar's picture for Rust, you can actually see a tiny bit of this on the paddle. I think it is just part of the colour and it'll be very difficult to get rid of it, a question of working with and accepting.  :-\  The metal seems to rise to the surface with working, probably more due to the working than the flame atmosphere but I could be wrong on this. I haven't ever seen rough marks quite like yours, though  ??? Most of the time for me, it is just flecks and specks.

Steampunkglass

I know GA chart lists Jasper's main metal as copper, and it certainly sparks like when you put copper leaf on a bead, but it looks more like a dirty silver  ??? Maybe it's somesort of weird alloy of the the two that they use to make the colour. I am glad it's not just me that has the specks too, this was a time I didn't try to remove them and they seemed to 'grow.' I hadn't noticed the specks on the colour chart until you mentioned them though.

Mind you, can't say they are two of my most favourite colours anyway!

garishglobes

I've just fallen in love with Jasper! One of those colours I'd left well alone for ages and come back to and suddenly rediscovered.

Doesn't copper go that nasty black colour if heated? Don't ask me about alloys, I studied metallurgy  ::)

Stacy

Yep I get the same thing! Have tried different flames types and also sanding off after it's cooled. I had better luck with the latter of these two.
My rust rods are seconds so I just thought that the rods had too much metal in them.
I'd be interested to know if your rods were seconds too?

Steampunkglass

Not the rust, that was a first quality, although I've only got one or two rods as I've not used it much. I'm sure I'll have some in  my orginal sample selection pack, I'll dig that out and see if if does the same.

Steampunkglass

Just tried the rod that came in my NS sample pack; same story  :( I'd hardly got it off the rod before all the little specks of metal started appearing. I certainly find that jasper does this less though.

fionaess

Thats odd Glenn, I use quite a lot of rust, encased tho, but I've never seen that blackening before.  Tell you what, I'll make an unencased  rust bead tomorrow and see what happens...

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

fionaess

Well Glenn, my little rust bead is fine, no black bits to be seen  ???

garishglobes

It may well have something to do with the working time. I've just looked at one of the chilli lamps I have here, and it has big metal marks on it. I didn't even view them as odd when I made it, I think I've just got used to the glass having them  ??? Possibly it helps that it is quite textured/patterned anyway, so this just adds to the overall pattern. As a one-colour backing it would be really unappealing.

fionaess

It could well be cooling/heating cycle.

Steampunkglass

Quote from: garishglobes on February 12, 2011, 05:52:00 PM
As a one-colour backing it would be really unappealing.
unfortuntely thats what I was doing with it  :-\ I guess it's one of those colours that just need to be used in the right place, I think your right Fi, I heat it alot when using as a backing and maybe thats why it's doing that