All these different makes of glass......

Started by helbels, October 05, 2009, 05:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helbels

Hello All

Today's newbie question from me is: What's the deal with all these different types of glass?  I know that there's a different colour range in each brand, and that some are "softer" than others etc... But as a newbie, do I really need to try Reichenbach, Vetrofond and CIM as well as Effetre?

Thank you!
Helen.

squirsygirl

Yss you do.  They're like oxygen, and you don't want to be without that, now, do you?  You NEED as much as you can get - and you need it now.

Seriously, though, check the fritipedia at the top of the page, it gives you loads of info on the different types of glass.

Kirsty

Redkite

Hi!

All the different types you mentioned are made by different companies. To find out if the glass is the same type (ie can be used in the same bead) you have to find out the COE or "coeficient of expansion" of the glass. This is a number which should be displayed by whoever is selling the glass. It tells you how much the glass expands when hot (and contracts when cool).

You should always use glass with the same COE in your beads (except if you use very small amounts eg frit), otherwise the bead will crack. You can therefore mix glass from different manufacturers as long as you check the COE matches.

Effetre, Vetrofond and CIM glass is all COE 104 (known as "soft")
Reichenbach makes COE 104 and COE 96, so make sure you get the right type

So in general it's just a case of seeing which colour range you prefer. Someone more experienced will be able to give you a few exceptions to the rule.

Cath

Cath