Propane gas alarm

Started by madpup, October 04, 2009, 02:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madpup

Hi there,
can i get a Propane gas alarm? seeing that this is going in the spare room and I'm likely
to blow the house up if i don't get one of these, I have a carbon (something) alarm, (spell checker couldn't find the right word) will that work?
thanks for looking,
Mark
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

madpup

found it "something " was Monoxide lol  ::)
and iv found the alarms on ebay,
was searching while writing the post, but still worth putting up
to remind others that you can buy theses.
regards

Mark
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Krysia@No98

-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Redhotsal

Just make sure you've got lots of ventilation. There's stuff other than carbon monoxide - including copius amounts of carbon dioxide and a whole plethora of nitrogen type oxides coming out of the torch which might not get picked up by the detector.
Best test for propane leaking (apart from it's hideous smell) is actually to do a leak test.  Best to do this with a proprietary leak detector fluid (from B+Q depot) or at a pinch, a solution of soapy water, like fairy liquid in water. Don't use the Fairy on oxygen cylinders though. Paint/spray the fluid onto every section of your kit where there could possibly be a leak - all joints - especially the bit which connects with the propane cylinder. Bubbles will show up where there is any leak. Stop and make sure the leak has been fixed. Don't be tempted to carry on regardless if it's a little leak - propane is heavier than air and will sink to the floor. It can fill a room from the bottom up and by the time you've noticed it you're effectively in a bath or propane.
HTH.

sea-thistle

You can now get strips that have a red dot on them when they turn black it means that you have carbon monoxide leak. I saw them on the DIY tv programme the other day. Of course you wont get alarm bells! But it is cheaper than the battery type as long as you make it a habit to look at the strip.

madpup

Im going to be getting both alarms, better safe than sorry.
;)

www.madpup.co.uk

Bluebottle

Quote from: sea-thistle on October 05, 2009, 06:24:29 PM
You can now get strips that have a red dot on them when they turn black it means that you have carbon monoxide leak. I saw them on the DIY tv programme the other day. Of course you wont get alarm bells! But it is cheaper than the battery type as long as you make it a habit to look at the strip.

Carbon Monoxide doesn't "Leak" it is a product of gas combustion, it can build up in an enclosed space and exclude the air forcing you to breathe it and die from suffocation, but you would probably notice  ;D ::) ;D ::)

sea-thistle

Hotglass28

Carbon monoxide can kill you without you even knowing it as you can pass out, then die.  The warning signs are there if you do have a collection of it in the room/house but then again you may not notice it if you don't know about the warning signs.

I think what she was asking for was a gas detector.  Not sure if that exists but getting the soap tests done regulary should be fine like Sally said. Plus you can smell gas.  But you cant carbon monoxide.

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Hotglass28

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

dinah46

I have a propane detector as well as a carbon monoxide detector. I keep the propane detector as low down in the garage as poss as that's where the propane will gather.  I know the carbon monoxide detector works as it used to go off in the winter while I was defrosting the car if I parked too close to the garage door ::)

Krysia@No98

Quote from: dinah46 on October 06, 2009, 06:15:58 PM
I have a propane detector as well as a carbon monoxide detector. I keep the propane detector as low down in the garage as poss as that's where the propane will gather.  I know the carbon monoxide detector works as it used to go off in the winter while I was defrosting the car if I parked too close to the garage door ::)
You know it works then :)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

dinah46

Quote from: Krysia on October 06, 2009, 07:15:04 PM
Quote from: dinah46 on October 06, 2009, 06:15:58 PM
You know it works then :)

Well they do tell you to test them regularly ;D