Both halves of a Marble Press?

Started by One Key Beads, October 03, 2009, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One Key Beads

Hi folks,

I've just bought a marble press from Maria Louisa and am finding it a bit tricky.

I've just looked through here and most people seem only to use one half to shape/size the bead.   Does any body actually use it as a press?  Or do you use it like you would a doming block?

Any help/tips/advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Jeanette

sarah t

same here ...so any hints and tips would be appriciated ......when i use like a press ie the top too.... i get lemon shapped beads ?

hollergrafik

I just use one half, make a slim barrell the width of the hole, then add glass on either side like a dumbell shape, for the second smallest marble I add 4 wraps either side, melt the bead by aiming the flame at the centre of the barrel, the sides will naturally move towards the heat, gently roll the bead against one edge of the press (I use the top of my press with the handle unscrewed, no pins in the way) add more glassto the edges if needed. Took me a fair few goes to get it looking ok, keep at it.

Lush!

I just use the bottom, I make a round bead and keep adding to the centre and use the press as a shaper rather than an actual press.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Pam

So here comes the silly question: why not sell the other half if everyone just uses one half?

One Key Beads

Huummmm, I wonder if it would be better to just buy a marble shaper?  If only one half is used, it seems like a waste and an expense to have both halves.  Mind, it's too late now I've bought the begger.

Jeanette

One Key Beads

Pam, I think we posted at the same time then. 

Jeanette

mizgeorge

I just bought a 'spare' top half. I'm sure lots of other people would be happy to do the same!

One Key Beads

George, that sounds like a good idea.

Jeanette

Ilona

I mainly use one, but have been known to use both.

If using only one, I use a glass and sit the one with no pins on the top, it's then at the correct height for me.

Trudi

I bought the marver and I love it!

Quote from: hollergrafik on October 03, 2009, 10:10:04 AM
I just use one half, make a slim barrell the width of the hole, then add glass on either side like a dumbell shape, for the second smallest marble I add 4 wraps either side, melt the bead by aiming the flame at the centre of the barrel, the sides will naturally move towards the heat, gently roll the bead against one edge of the press (I use the top of my press with the handle unscrewed, no pins in the way) add more glassto the edges if needed. Took me a fair few goes to get it looking ok, keep at it.

This is how  I do it too - and I find that a gentle marver inbetween adding the extra glass gives you a nice pucker edge!

Try it  - and if you like it you can sell the other half!