Stringer thickness?? help....

Started by limetree, October 04, 2009, 04:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limetree

Hi I've been lampworking for a few weeks now and still can't get to grips with my stringers!!! I've read all the tips on this forum but I was wondering if maybe my stringers are too thin? Just now I am trying to wrap a stringer in a swirl around the bead starting one end and finishing at the other .  When I pull stringers they tend to be around 1mm thick - is this just too thin?? When I place the stringer on the bead the bottom part doesn't seem to melts first and I'm left with a bit of unmelted glass then I panic and the top part melts off and I'm left with a mess?? I'm working to the right of the flame not in it. What size of stringers do you guys use?  Thanks!!  :) :)

julieHB

Patience, my dear - I have been lampworking for a year and a bit, and still cannot do fine stringer work. I know it may say more about me than stringer work, but still, controlling fine stringer work is one of the more difficult techniques to master. Try to pull a little thicker stringers to begin with, and preferably in transparent glass, which is a little stiffer.

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Kaz

Hmmmm over two years for me and only just starting to get to grips with stringerwork ;D
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

helbels

These replies are reassuring - I've spent all day today trying to draw a spiral with a stringer and getting blobby messes!

My stringers also come out about a hair's width in size!

But then again, it's only Day 5 lol

kaatje

What can I say? Just one answer:  P  P   P  .........
Love, Karin

sarah t

when i get hair fine stringers when i dont want them means i am usually pulling to hot and to fast  ...count to five before starting !

limetree

mmm looks like I've got a long way to go... :-[. I'll keep practising and try with thicker stringers.  :) :) 

Krysia@No98

Quote from: sarah t on October 04, 2009, 08:51:53 PM
when i get hair fine stringers when i dont want them means i am usually pulling to hot and to fast  ...count to five before starting !
I agree - there's not hurry.  If it all goes ca-plooie you can always melt it again! and if there is one thing to teach you patients it's remelting a very long thin stringer back into a blob
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

LittleHen

Yes I agree, go much slower and get much thicker stringers, it's better to have a short length of something useable rather than a long length of something useless.
I would also recommend transparent stringers as they're stiffer but if you encase the end of an opaque rod then make your stringer you'll get a nice effect and a useable visible stringer.
Try to concentrate on moving your bead and not your stringer that way you'll keep the "sweet spot" (where the stringer draws like I pen!for much longer
Also make sure you practice, my stringer control is still a bit rubbish but my stringer making technique is much better as I've spent longer making than applying!