How to hold hot mandrel

Started by julieHB, September 06, 2009, 12:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julieHB

Hi,

I have been searching for a tool used to hold a mandrel that is hot. I want to be able to heat up a bead/ hold it warm/ in the kiln and continue to work on it - does anyone know of a specific tool or have a good solution to this? It must be such that the mandrel can be rotated. I was thinking of using my bead reamer, but the collect is too big. Thanks  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

sublimekate

Hi Julie,

I can't help on the mandrel holder but I use a very long mandrel if I think I'm going to need a break while making a bead, that way I can leave enough of the mandrel sticking out of the bead door so that I can  pick it back up. I find that re-warming the bead at the back of the flame gives the rest of the mandrel time to cool to a manageable temperature. I cut a few long ones from welding rods specifically for this purpose.

I did see a mandrel holding thingy at stourbridge though but I can't remember who had it, will go off and rack my brains  :)

Pam

When I went to Di Easts she just uses a rag to old it initially until it cools, ?damp. Didn't take long for mandrel to cool down.

Chameleon

i keep a tall glass of cold water by the kiln and a big pair of pliers i get the mandrel out of the kiln by it very end then grab the mandrel with the pliers about 1" under the bead and dip the mandrel into the water for a few seconds to cool then carry on as normal (putting bead into back of flame first to avoid explosions lol)  ;D

julieHB

Thank you all!! 

I don't have a bead door, so my mandrels are shorter than normal and I have to put them fully into the kiln. So that rules out your first solution Kate! But let's know if you think of that tool  :)

I have read about wet rags/paper etc., I was just wondering whether there was a designated tool for the job that doesn't require too much faffing about with a very hot mandrel! I think I shall have to try Becky's solution, and hope that my short mandrels cool down quick enough without the bead cracking. Think I'd better dress up in my leather apron before I attempt it  ::)

I appreciate your help greatly!! I bought a few of Sheila Morley's decals long time ago when she offered some samples, and I'd love to try them out  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Veebee

Can you not add the decals to a cooled bead then batch anneal at a slightly higher temperature to fuse it to the bead? Might save potentially burned fingers!
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

julieHB

Quote from: Veebee on September 06, 2009, 01:44:53 PM
Can you not add the decals to a cooled bead then batch anneal at a slightly higher temperature to fuse it to the bead? Might save potentially burned fingers!

Hmm, I know you can do that with gold decals, but I think these decals need temperatures so high that the glass would slump - which is fine for a cabochon, but I don't really want lopsided beads. Another aspect is that I might want to try encasing it. But thanks for your suggestion!!  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Chameleon

when i use decals i encase them ..which is usually when i can be found dunking mandrels in cold water lol, I found i could get the mandrels in the tallest glass i have so the water was just under an inch from the glass and they cooled down to a temp i could hold within a few seconds. give me a yell if you want my kiln schedule for burning off the covercoat and then working the beads ...the decals I use are high temp ceramic transfers suitable for use in the hot shop so they go pretty hot but yell if you want more info then i know im not boring you needlessly  ;D ;D

julieHB

Quote from: chameleon on September 06, 2009, 09:48:10 PM
when i use decals i encase them ..which is usually when i can be found dunking mandrels in cold water lol, I found i could get the mandrels in the tallest glass i have so the water was just under an inch from the glass and they cooled down to a temp i could hold within a few seconds. give me a yell if you want my kiln schedule for burning off the covercoat and then working the beads ...the decals I use are high temp ceramic transfers suitable for use in the hot shop so they go pretty hot but yell if you want more info then i know im not boring you needlessly  ;D ;D

This is very generous of you, Becky, and I'd love to have some info from you, if you don't mind to share - I know you work with decals (who can forget one of those damask beads when they have seen one!!). Will PM you  :-*
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr