Main Menu

cutting dichroic

Started by wendy j, August 12, 2009, 12:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendy j

Hi all,  I got some dicro from Sam,bought a diamond tip glass cutter from ebay, now How do I cut the glass.  Ive scored alond a metal ruler on the uncoated side,  what do I do now? ???
Im aiming to wrap it round a clear base and encase,  thats the idea anyway, whether it works or not is a different matter!
Thanks guys
Wendy J

aoturoa

I think you just snap it along the cut (wearing gloves and goggles, obviously) but maybe you should wait for better info.

Trudi

I use an oil cutter to make the score - then I use running pliers.

http://warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=284

Basically  (with the scored side facing up) you line up the score with a little ridge and when you press down it breaks along the score line - perhaps the same effect could be had lying it over something long and thin!!

Just to be warned though - applying the dichroic to the bead you do need to work further out in the flame and make sure that you have the edges firmly pressed down - if the flame gets to the coating it will scum like mad.

You can slump the edges in the kiln which does make it much easier and less likely to scum.

Lots of places in the US sell these strips - calling them fused - but you don't tend to see it over here!

Zeldazog

Quote from: Trudi on August 12, 2009, 12:59:51 PM

Basically  (with the scored side facing up) you line up the score with a little ridge and when you press down it breaks along the score line - perhaps the same effect could be had lying it over something long and thin!!

Yes, quite correct Trudi.  In fact, common practice is to score the line with your Toyo, then place it under the glass, running along the line, and press down either side.

Just remember that, which ever side your score is on, you need to break in that direction, so if score is on top, break upwards (so if you use cut running pliers, the little ridge needs to be opposite side of the glass to the score) - I always to liken it to London Bridge.  The score line must be on the side that the glass will "open" (does that make sense??)

Warm Glass do UK sell the pre-fired strips, Trudi, but I think only on Bullseye on black on clear.  They do sell other strips, on Moretti 104, but they don't say they're pre-fired.

Trudi

Yep you're right about the fired strips - I was referring more to 104 glass (should have said!).  :o

Trudi

opps - should also add, I would normally cut/score on the uncoated side!

Warm Glass UK

Hi. I thought this article might be helpful - not only for cutting dichroic but for general cutting principles should you need to!

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Downloads/Public/Products/Tools/Improve%20Your%20Cutting.pdf

Thanks, Pippa