How do you use a doming block?

Started by baked beads, August 01, 2009, 03:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baked beads

I have one of these big square doming blocks with various 'sperical' shapes but im not sure how to use it. it not like a lentil press which has a groove for the mandrel. I'm stuck please help me?
Shuks@Bakedbeads

turnedlight

I don't know either, I just use mine to make sure I get my beads similar sizes  ;D I've never got any further than that!
kathryn

sublimekate

Quote from: turnedlight on August 01, 2009, 11:53:59 AM
I don't know either, I just use mine to make sure I get my beads similar sizes  ;D I've never got any further than that!

Snap, I find it a useful guide for the presses too, for example If I make a round bead to fit a particular hole I know it will make the perfect lentil in my lentil press or tab press. Isn't there a silversmithing use for it too  ???

Sarah

In silver smithing you use it to shape domes not surprisingly  :)

But in glass I use mine to make sure round beads are all the same size. Make a cylinder a bit smaller than the diameter of the dome you plan to use. Build glass at either end so that you have a spool or dumb bell shape. Heat the bead in the middle and it will shape into a round. Then when the glass is cooling gently roll it in the dome. If you have too little glass add more to the sides of the bead and repeat. If you have too much then move up to the next dome.

Sarah
xxx

silverlemon

Aha the doming block used for glass.....

Ok, so you don't actually use the complete recess when making beads.
What you want to use is the RIM of the hemispheres, so that you're using the sharp edge of the dips to smooth your hot glass and gently shape it.
It's like when you make a marble, you don't actually put the marble into the mould, you use the rim of the hole to make the the glass round, so you choose a hole much smaller than the marble or bead you are making. heat only the area of the bead/marble that you want to smooth, and gently move it around sat in the top of the recess so that the edge smooths the glass to it's contour....does that make sense?
You can use the doming block to help smooth encasing on florals and patterned beads where you don't want the pattern to stretch sideways with the encasing as you melt it in. Use the rim to smooth the encasing in small areas at a time.
HTH  ;D
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

baked beads

thanks everyone. silverlemon im going to try what you said. i think its a case of playing around until it clicks, but you advice is most welcome.  :)
Shuks@Bakedbeads