Oxy-compressor and propane help

Started by Frankie_d, June 22, 2009, 01:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie_d

Hi All,

I have been very fortunate to have been given an oxy compressor and nortel minor burner kit for my birthday as i have allways wanted to learn how to make my own beads. Having now spent another small fortune on supplies to get myself started i have met my first stumbling block in finding the correct propane to connect to the machine. Can anyone advise what cylinder i need and where i can get one from. I work in london and would ideally like to get one 'in store' if possible as i want to get started asap!

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Sulis (Hazel)

Hi Frankie  ;D

I get my propane from the local petrol station (Morrisons) although you can get them from pretty much anywhere. You are looking for Propane (red tank) - and there are various suppliers. Flogas are slightly more expensive for refils but don't ask you for a deposit for your tank. Calor ask you for a deposit.

It's usually this sort - https://secure.calor.co.uk/OrderCalorCylinders/default.asp?PageType=propane and possibly a 13kg bottle will be sufficient for a few months if torching as a hobby/learning.

Some fortuate people have managed to pick up an empty Calor cylinder from a local rubbish tip and then just had to buy a refill rather than a new tank (inlucing deposit) from scratch - that may be worth finding out about.

There are other threads on this forum on how to connect it up once you get it home - if I find them I'll come back here and post a link!

I hope that helps,  Hazel 
Hazel x

princess pink

hi frankie

i live in london too and found the service from flogas amazing. They delivery to your door and don't have a set up cost which is very useful! and its free delivery.

www.flogas.co.uk  i was able to specify a time with them as well

Shahlaa

TiaraHelen

I buy mine at the local garden centre. 13kg is heavy but just about manageable, lasts about 100 hours, but the propane cylinders I use are orange?
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Sulis (Hazel)

Quote from: TiaraHelen on June 22, 2009, 02:58:30 PM
I buy mine at the local garden centre. 13kg is heavy but just about manageable, lasts about 100 hours, but the propane cylinders I use are orange?

That would explain my lack of decent beads - colour blindness!  ;D

You're right - a reddy orange colour  ;D ;D
Hazel x

Frankie_d

Thanks all - that has been really helpfull.

we have been out this evening to try and get a cylinder, but the closest we have got is the gas cylinders for people bringing back empty ones.

does anyone have any idea where we can buy a full cylinder ready to use? will i have to pre order one online?

Sulis (Hazel)

Have you checked out the Calor website? It has a retailer finder thingy on it.

http://www.multimap.com/clients/places.cgi?client=calor5

You put your postcode in and it tells you the nearest dealers. I don't know about London, but most of the petrol stations round here (Hampshire) has them. I would imagine Londoners need gas too  ;)

Good luck!
Hazel x

Margram

I found it was quite a bit cheaper to use an independent supplier
rather than Calor or Flogas.  Try typing propane supplier into Google.

Marg x
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Sulis (Hazel)

oh bum.

Marg, I didn't think of that and I just bought a new tank today!!! Ah well. Propane is cheap compared to silver glass and tools and stuff....(she says to console herself!)   x
Hazel x

Margram

Oh well - perhaps they squashed an extra bit of gas in for you... :D

Marg x
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Sulis (Hazel)

Frankie - I just thought, have you looked on Yell for any welding suppliers in your area? Or do you have a B&Q or other builders yard? They use propane bottles for roofing and stuff like that I think. Also catering.
Hazel x

Pat from Canvey

I buy mine from the local large camping store.

Lush!

The places that exchange tanks (such as petrol stations) should simply sign you up for a new contract if you don't have a bottle to return.

I use Countrywide gas, they don't require a contract or deposit on their larger bottles - they do on the smallest one though - but I don't know if they're available in London?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Frankie_d

Thank you all so much for your advice - I have now have a working torch!

Unfortunately... please see my new post for my next problem!