Your Favourite beginners book

Started by avapalo, June 12, 2009, 03:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avapalo

Hi
Just wondering which book you all would recommend for a beginner. One with really good basic information, maybe one that you wished you had known about when you first started or one that you might still refer to.
Paula

Steampunkglass

The classic Cindy Jenkins book still sits by my workbench, nice for info and also inspiration on those 'what do I do today?' days
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Glass-Beads-Cindy-Jenkins/dp/1579906338

avapalo

Thats brilliant thanks, its great to know the only book I have on lampwork is a favourite.

julieHB

Passing the Flame by Corina Tettinger cover a lot of the techniques - and there are some gorgeous examples to go with it. You won't digest all the information there the first evening.  :) The only drawback is that it's quite expensive...
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Calico Cat

Quote from: julieHB on June 12, 2009, 04:17:40 PM
Passing the Flame by Corina Tettinger cover a lot of the techniques - and there are some gorgeous examples to go with it. You won't digest all the information there the first evening.  :) The only drawback is that it's quite expensive...

I'd second that.

I now have several books but this is the one I dip in and out of most frequently.

Carole

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

jammie

Not a book but the DVD by Sally carver (red hot sal) is brilliant, really  good clear setting up information as well as beadmaking!  :)

SallyB

Hello

I got 'Passing the Flame' for my birthday a month ago and it's brilliant.  It makes me feel like I've got a teacher with me and the beads I make have really really improved especially my encasing.  It's a brilliant book and well worth the money. 

Corina gives brilliant tips on the types of glass that work together to give good results and has a chapter on purple and on pink which I found really interesting.

I didn't find Cindy's book nearly as helpful as Corina's.  I love the spiral binding and, when I'm working on copying a step-by-step, I have it on a recipe stand in front of me.

Sally

Helen G

Corina's "Passing The Flame" for me too. I still take to read in bed and am ALWAYS referring to it.

silvergirl

QuoteCorina's "Passing The Flame" for me too. I still take to read in bed and am ALWAYS referring to it

ditto!
Lisa x

Tollgate-Debs

Passing the Flame works for me too! 

Debs

LesleyMac

I have most of the books and love them all but the one that I go back to lots is the Kimberley Adams "Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking".  Its the best in my opinion.
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

avapalo

Thanks everyone, looks like some serious investment is needed  :)
Paula

flaming beads

yep..definitley passing the flame. just a flash of all the colours are an inspiration and the encasing tips def workrd for me ;D