Murrini - how do you cut it?

Started by Blue Kiln Beads, June 09, 2009, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Kiln Beads

I was watching a tut on You Tube for how to make a cane of murrini but it didn't show how you cut it into smaller pieces to use it.  Does anyone know.....?
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

Kaz

Put the rod into a plastic bag or deep plastic container and cut with rod nippers otherwise they ping everywhere. I like mine about 5mm long (ish!)
I do sometimes use them straight off the rod - plunge into the bead and then cut off with rod nippers, then you don't need to fiddle with tweezers.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Trudi

Hi

You really need proper cutters

I use ones like these with the wheels
http://www.mosaicheaven.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=201

But Martin also sells some!

Blue Kiln Beads

Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

Carol

I use the ones that Trudi has linked too - have found them to be nice & precise after faffing around with ordinary glass rod cutters for a while  ::)  :)
Carol

garishglobes

I've got those, too. They are good :)
Put your finger over the end of the rod (ie the piece you are cutting off) when cutting, then it doesn't fly off across the room :)
I like using rod straight onto the bead, too.

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Trudi (aka Kooks lady) on June 09, 2009, 11:59:45 AM
http://www.mosaicheaven.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=201

oh WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!  I have been thinking about adding this to the list of hobbies ever since I say Kirsty's home made home.  I just hadn't got round to looking it all up!!  (thought it would be good infront of the telly)

Now theres a link!

What did you think of all their lovely shed/workspaces. Weren't they amazing!!
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

flaming beads

Quote from: Y-beads on June 09, 2009, 11:51:56 AM
I was watching a tut on You Tube for how to make a cane of murrini but it didn't show how you cut it into smaller pieces to use it.  Does anyone know.....?

hi :) could you please send a link to the murrini vid as i've been thinking for ages now that i'd love to give it go ;D
thanku :)