Silver Core set up costs?

Started by lampworklover, June 09, 2009, 09:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lampworklover

My interest in lampworking was sparked when I started collecting silver core beads, and it's been downhill from there!

Although I have had people asking me when I will sell beads to them, I am enjoying making beads to wear myself, and to give as gifts, rather than having any plans to sell them. The way I see it I can make whatever I like, in the colours I like, and get better at techniques, rather than worrying about what other people think. (This may change, but not in the immediate future, there's too much else going on in my life!).

I know there are threads about the 'how-to's' of adding silver cores, but I'm wondering if it is worth even considering if I am only planning to make them in very small quantities; is it worth the expense? Can anyone give me any ideas about how much the tools cost please? (If I did do it, I would prefer to use silver tube rather than glueing rivets in).

Your thoughts would be very welcome!

Lush!

It depends on how you decide to go about it really.

A set of dapping punches don't cost very much, I think I paid about £20 for a set from one of the big jewellery tools sellers on Ebay.  If you want to get one of the lining tools, there's a few to choose from.  I got an Impress Beadliner from Art in the Round in America, I think it cost around £65 plus maybe customs charges.  Some of the bead riveters cost considerably more.  Also Frit en Glas do their tool, and I'm sure I read on here the other day that Maria Louisa is about to release one too.

You'll need quite a few other bits and pieces of tools for measuring, cutting, polishing the silver etc and the silver tube as well.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

lampworklover

Sounds like it might be a bit too expensive to justify! (But then there's always Christmas and Birthdays ;D ).

chocolateteapot

I am looking at buying bead liner. I have tried to contact the chap from Art in the round but have had no joy. He seemed to be awfully busy tho. Can you tell me Lush if that is the bead liner you now use as your lined beads are really fantastic. I saw the ones that you put on to show when u first got the press and you were so disappointed. You have done such a  wonderful job. I just wondered if anyone could recommend a good one. If you are using the art in the round one that is fantastic...obviously down to the user...Anyway, will wait with baited breathe to see what u all think. If you are Newmarket bead fayre will come and say hello Lush...x
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

Lush!

Yes to all those questions!  (and thank you  :-[)

I'd recommend you find out what beadliner Maria Louisa is about to launch, it must be ready any day now.  http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13510.0

I'll try to remember to bring mine along to Newmarket so you can see it - can't promise to actually show you it in action though, hopefully I'll be too busy  ;)

chocolateteapot

Thanks Julie, really good of you to let me know all that. I went on to the site...not sure when they are ready..soon it says...and u can pay for one but i couldnt find a picture. But then i am terrible with sites. I can't remem ;D ;Dber how to post on here, have been wanting to ask my question for ages but couldnt work it out, altho i have done it b4....oh dear. Anyway luckily found the reply button to this thread, or something so i could speak!!

Anyway, will keep eye on that one for when its ready...i want one now is my problem...we have the same problem u and i...the i want it yesterday thing! Price looks good. If i get it i will either bring it to show you or tell you how i get on on here..if i can work it out or send u an email on your website. I cant get pictures from camera to internet cos i am a completed dinosaur...

See you soon and good luck at Newmarket, but i know you wont need it x
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

Lush!

I'm PMing you ChocolateTeapot .. that means I'm sending you a private message .. comprende?
:D :D :D

chocolateteapot

ha ha ha...thank you so much...i just got an email from you and was wondering what happened....you are such a love. xxx