Main Menu

Bleeding pipes

Started by sandie, May 31, 2009, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandie

When I bleed my propane pipe it empties quickly, but when I try to bleed my oxygen pipe after I've switched off the oxycon, it just goes on hissing forever. Is that normal?

Josephine

Yes. I don't turn off the oxygen tap on the torch. Bleed the propane hose and turn off the oxycon leaving the tap open, oxycons don't like having the oxygen building up in them. Don't forget you aren't getting the same sort of pressure with the oxycon as with the propane or bottled oxygen for that matter.

sandie

Is it ok even if it doesn't stop hissing at all?

Josephine

Even if you go back after an hour and turn off the tap?

sandie

I left it for 45 minutes. I'll try an hour.

sandie

Just checked and it had been an hour, so went and looked, and it had stopped hissing. Thanks so much, Josephine - I was getting worried. Much relieved now.  :D

Josephine

I just plucked an hour out of the air, thought it would have run through by then. I tend to just leave it open all the time. The next day I turn on the oxycon, let it run for a few minutes then turn off the tap very briefly while i light the propane.

sandie

Les

Mary

Oxygen won't damage your hose like propane will, that's why we bleed the propane hose, to stop the propane rotting it.

firedinglass

'I tend to just leave it open all the time. The next day I turn on the oxycon, let it run for a few minutes then turn off the tap very briefly while i light the propane.'

And me  - I do the same :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Redhotsal

If you still have "free" oxygen coming out of your oxycon after 45 minutes with no power on you have something very special. Can I buy it??  ;)