Main Menu

Marble stands

Started by Lotti, December 11, 2013, 05:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

What do folks use to display/stand marbles on, do you make your own or buy them?  I made a ring of clear glass (it was actually a clear disk bead that I made ages ago with 104) and that worked fairly well, but wondered what other people do. :)  Have just seen what I think is small sections of tube being used which looked quite nice, but not sure my glass cutting skills are up to that at the mo! 

SilverGems89

I've seen small sections of plastic tube, rubber 'o' rings, bottle caps, BHB's and pretty much anything with a round cavity!

There are of course the specifically designed stands, wooden, plastic and glass being the common materials to make them from!
I just bought an Eddie Seese marble and it came with an amazing glass stand, I guess he makes them himself!

Lotti

Quote from: SilverGems89 on December 11, 2013, 06:50:22 PM
I've seen small sections of plastic tube, rubber 'o' rings, bottle caps, BHB's and pretty much anything with a round cavity!

There are of course the specifically designed stands, wooden, plastic and glass being the common materials to make them from!
I just bought an Eddie Seese marble and it came with an amazing glass stand, I guess he makes them himself!

:)  Think I shall I have to make my own, was thinking along the lines of a 'droopy' maria the sort you have at the mid stages of an implosion or maybe just rings?  Be nice to be able to sell the marbles on something ;) (when I get to that stage of course ;) ). :)

Steampunkglass

I buy them in, little clear acrylic ones, there are normally a few different types around ebay, and larger rock and crystal on-line shops stock a few for use with rock eggs and spheres - you'll probably get more come up if you hunt for egg stands than marble stands! I've seen some lovely metal and wooden stands, but really a 'soft' material is ideal so it doesn't scratch the marble. I've heard of people even using nice champagne or shot glasses, or flower bud vases. You could even buy clear acrylic plastic  tubing and cut that to different lengths to make a really interesting stand with marbles on different levels (been meaning to do that sometime, still not got around to it!)

Jennie Lamb

Lottie I bought a load when I was in Santa Monica...if we go again this Christmas do you want me to get you some......Acrylic circles!  Message me on FB if you want me to do that for you x

Pat from Canvey

You could make a clear ring using a ring mandrel.

Lotti

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on December 11, 2013, 07:59:29 PM
You could make a clear ring using a ring mandrel.

That's exactly how the first one was made, was supposed to be part of an idea and became a marble stand, and does a good job!  Thanks Glenn and Jennie (will PM you honey). xxx

garishglobes

I'd go with acrylic or something along those lines. Jamie makes quite a few marbles now and used to make little droopy maria-type stands. He's convinced that they can scratch the marble so he's switched.

Pat from Canvey

If you look at my post this morning in the Show and Tell, you can see my temporary marble stand which has the benefit of being free. It can also be cut to different heights to make a display.

Lotti

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on December 12, 2013, 08:51:07 AM
If you look at my post this morning in the Show and Tell, you can see my temporary marble stand which has the benefit of being free. It can also be cut to different heights to make a display.

OOH, thanks lovely, will go and look :)

Thanks Emma, think Jennie is getting me some acrylic ones so will try those.  I have used my mold to take piccies this morning! :)