I'm Thinking of Buying a Reconditioned Oxy Con -Thoughts/Advice Needed

Started by Barnacle Bay, June 05, 2012, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnacle Bay

Hi folks,

I am seriously contemplating on buying a Reconditioned Oxy Con unit and really need some advice or  any thoughts anyone has on them.

My initial reason for getting one is that I have recently switched to bulk propane and have really noticed that it is a lot slower than the Mapp gas and I feel alot harder to use due lack of heat.

Obviously I will have to buy a dual torch too - & another question would be 'which one?'

I have seen a recon Oxy Con, but I was also wondering how many hours use they can do B4 having to have a service?

Any thoughts, Pro's & Cons & advice very much welcomed.  Please IM me if you would like to remain private.

Oh and if anyone has one going at a bargain price let me know  ;D

Thanks in advance,

Louise

Blue Box Studio

I got my recon oxycon from Tuffnell glass and so far it's done a year without sulking (famous last words, the way my week is going :( ).  Personally I'd buy from a reputable company, but then I'm not a risk-taker.  I think they are reasonably easy to keep working and if all else fails you can get Martin to service it for you; for a price.

As for a torch, I use a Nortel Minor with one oxy.  Before making my decision I had a read, made a shrotlist and then asked people if I could pop over and borrow their to try out (thank you Madeline).  Flame Off is the obvious place to try them all out, but the next one is a way off (2013). 

I started on a hothead with bulk gas, so glad I made the move to dual fuel, so much faster than a HH.  Never tried Mapp gas, couldn't find locally.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Calico Cat

I know I am tempting fate but my first OxyCon has been chugging away now for just over 3 years, the second one for about 14 months but they are in the house at the moment so don't get too cold/damp.

I have two as I run a GTT Lynx and one just doesn't hack it - does mean they both run at just over 3 most of the time so aren't stressed too much.

As far as torches go, the Nortel Minor is a good reliable choice but you might also consider a GTT Cricket or Bobcat.

Would suggest browsing  website or speaking to Martin or Emma.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

kerensky

All of the Oxycons I own are from Martin at Tuffnell Glass.

The first one I bought in 2005, it has never been serviced and it is still purrring away like a kitten.

As suggested - I would call them up and ask what sort of oxy torch deal they have running at the mo.

Good luck - you will never look back ;-)

Lakelady

I have two from Martin - don't know anyone who has bought new at those prices!   ;D

I have a Mega minor torch as I dabble in Boro too and love it  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Pauline

sarah t

buying from sean or martin makes sence when you try to get spares or need someone who has the knowledge to fix it should it go wrong

Shirley

Another vote for Tuffnell's. By the way, I think the Off Mandrel ones come from Martin anyway.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Les

My Tuffnell oxycon is only now beginning to play up a bit ... I've had it for nearly 8 years and treated it pretty badly ... pretty good in my opinion :)

noora

I have an ancient oxycon that probably hasn't even been reconditioned and it's still huffin' and puffin' after several years of lampworking. I have a Nortel Minor torch.

Barnacle Bay

Great replies  ;D

I will now save up a few more pennies and buy one in the very near future.

Though it is my birthday soon so I will start hinting to my hubby...umm though will need the torch too, best I have two birthdays :D

Thanks all,

Louise