Different finishes on Bead Cores

Started by JaySpangles, July 27, 2011, 11:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaySpangles

DD and and are thinking about buying a bead lining press and haven't as yet decided on which one as yet.  Looking at everyone else's silver cored beads I note that some have a rounded finish on the core and others are flatter.  Is that a result of the method produced by the individual machine, or the way the person has chosen to finish the core?  Do some machines give a more rounded  finish than others? 
Much as I would love to go to Mango and try them all on one of her courses it is an awful long way from North Yorkshire to Barnstaple and back!
Help and advice much appreciated.

MangoBeads

Our machine specifically domes the silver to give a curved edge , this is due to the shape of the plastic finishing dies and the de burring tool helps ... there are other ways to achieve this finish and you can get it by using doming punches..... we are looking at the possibility of taking he course more up country but as yet have no specific dates :)  :) We understand its a long way to come :)

ARBeads

I can't comment on liners as I still use a homemade flare tool/ dapping punches and mallet. But I get different results dependant on how much extra tube I allow and how hard I wallop the final piece. If I have a bit too much excess this gives a very rolled proud finish whereas not enough is flat to the bead guess what I like somewhere in between!

Ruth x
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

JaySpangles

I'm really fancying having a go at hand doing it, but I haven't got any dapping doodahs yet.  I make my BHBs on a 5mm mandrel so any pointer to  advice on here regarding the precise method, and the size of tubing to use would be handy.  I am a bit nervous about bashing too hard and blitzing the entire bead, but I imagine gently does it is the way to go!

MangoBeads

You will bust a few but then that kind of goes with the learning process :) I used to break 10 out of 20 beads a week for a year :) ....doing it by hand is a great way to learn as you really learn the quality of the silver and how it works ..... Just make sure your silver is loose in the hole before you start and the same rules on length of silver apply as to using a press...

One useful tip ... I bought a plumb line to do the initial flare of my tube before starting with the punches.. then increase the size of your punch slowly using one that covers the end of the silver well so you are not just pushing the silver tighter into the bead and up against the sides of the bead hole which is how you get breakages .
Once you have used the plumb line which gives a great initial flare you really just want to flatten the silver to the bead.
Then I used to turn the punch over and use the blunt end to tidy the edge of the silver to the bead giving a snugger more rounded fit.

Go for it its a great way to start ..... :)
PS  . If your mandrel is 5mm use Rashbells tubing 5.5 ? not sure on that and give the hole a good ream so the silver is loose before you start :)
Hole would benefit from being at least 6mm before you start but if you use a 6mm mandrel it will be too big does that make sense ?

Magpie

I broke all 3 of the beads I decided to core yesterday,  :'(, one just had a dot pinged off so is OK for giving to a friend, the next one lost half a side, and then my favorite one, I cut the tubing slightly too short, succeeded, polished up the brass (only using copper and brass) then thought that short end could do with being a bit flatter and one hit later it was in 3 pieces.

I get a very flat end to the tubing, I think it's because I'm working on a flat surface so it's doing the shaping underneath while I'm doing the flaring on top. David came out and watched and said I needed a dapping punch underneath as well, so I told him there were tools that did it all. Shall have to remember to remind him about that closer to Christmas ::).

MangoBeads

Quote from: Magpie on July 27, 2011, 07:27:20 PM
I broke all 3 of the beads I decided to core yesterday,  :'(, one just had a dot pinged off so is OK for giving to a friend, the next one lost half a side, and then my favorite one, I cut the tubing slightly too short, succeeded, polished up the brass (only using copper and brass) then thought that short end could do with being a bit flatter and one hit later it was in 3 pieces.

I get a very flat end to the tubing, I think it's because I'm working on a flat surface so it's doing the shaping underneath while I'm doing the flaring on top. David came out and watched and said I needed a dapping punch underneath as well, so I told him there were tools that did it all. Shall have to remember to remind him about that closer to Christmas ::).

Kristina Logan puts a dapping punch underneath the bead as well .... just pop it in a vice to hold it in place. I never did always did one end at a time :) and I liked the flat edge to the bead :) that you are getting Magpie .... its the trumpet shape i'm not so keen on its personal choice I think .... now I love my rounded edges :)

Blue Box Studio

In the days when I coujd hold a hammer (now, no grip so hammer flies across room!) I used to use 2 lathe tailstock thingies. One end went in a hole in my bench and I held the top half in the tube.  It only flared for me, but it gave me something big enough to finish with a dapping punch.  I still have them somewhere if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll dig them out and let you have a photo. 
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

JaySpangles

What are lathe tailstock thingies please?

ARBeads

That's exactly what I use - I made them when I was an engineering apprentice, never realised I'd be using them 20 years + later for coring beads!

They're a round pointed end tool used for centring bar when turning on a lathe, mine are super duper 316 Stainless Steel but I think they're normally a lower grade.

Manda's suggestion of a plumb bob is probably a cheaper alternative.

Ruthx
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: JaySpangles on July 27, 2011, 08:57:30 PM
What are lathe tailstock thingies please?

They look like this http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-standard-60-degree-live-revolving-centre-prod21297/ if my memory serves me right, except mine don't have revolving centres.  It's a bit late to be wandering down the end of my garden to the shedio, my garden is invaded by slimy wildlife at night.  I can photo tomorrow when I get in from work.

Quote from: ARBeads on July 27, 2011, 11:08:12 PM
That's exactly what I use - I made them when I was an engineering apprentice, never realised I'd be using them 20 years + later for coring beads!

They're a round pointed end tool used for centring bar when turning on a lathe, mine are super duper 316 Stainless Steel but I think they're normally a lower grade.

Manda's suggestion of a plumb bob is probably a cheaper alternative.

Mine were from Axminster, no idea what they are made from other than shiny silver metal.  I rang them up anbd said what I wanted to do, they did some out of the box thinking, and sold me 2 of these.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr