Main Menu

Repairing a cafetiere

Started by garishglobes, March 17, 2011, 05:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garishglobes

OH's son has come home tonight with the cafetiere from work, minus a lip. Somewhat optimistically, he expects me to repair it (yes, so that he can go on drinking his beloved real coffee without splashing out on a new flask  ::) )
I'm just wondering what the chances are of putting a new lip on? I'd prefer to do it from cold, which I am guessing won't help! It has broken flush with the cylinder, if that makes sense - I do have the old piece, or could coil clear stringer and attempt to shape. Not sure which would be most practical.

I have to say that it is also very, very tempting to take that cylinder and...ummmm....'enhance' it  :D :D

ARBeads

When you've done that one can you do ours, exactly the same break, now being used for stringers  ;D
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

♥♥Tan♥♥

This is interesting, there used to be a chap who did boro sculptures for tourists down here, ships and animals that kind of thing. When I was teaching myself and could find no information I used to go and hang on his caravan window and just watch what he did, he had funny shaped glass and I asked what it was.

Apparantly a local dairy used to give him their cracked churns to repair and any that were beyond repair he got to keep, those MUST have been done from cold but I have no idea how?

Blue Box Studio

Mine's not broken but is used as a water bath.  The replacement glass bits never used to be that expensive, have they gone up in price a lot?  Apart from the challenge (and just making a round bead is enough challenge for me) is it worth the faff?  I'm sure it is if someone is doing, but thankfully we got given rather a lot of them as wedding presents 6 years ago and haven't managed to break them all yet.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Steampunkglass

Are you sure it's boro? Maybe warm it up in the kiln first then flame polish it out and pull to shape without adding any more glass in case it's a weird COE  ???

garishglobes

That's an interesting question. I'd assumed all cafetiere glass was boro, but I guess nowadays it might very well not be  ???
I don't think it is worth repairing unless you are a cash-strapped 20something in need of coffee, with a lampworker prepared to experiment in the kitchen  ;D ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

Hotglass28

I have seen replacement glass for under £10 in sainsbury's. Bodium ones.

Could you not stretch out the glass and form a lip instead of adding glass to it?

Have fun, sounds like a challenge  ;D
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name