Dot and Line applicators

Started by loulou3012, October 06, 2009, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loulou3012

Hi Everyone ,
I have just bought some dot and line applicators from the Arrow Springs website ( thought they looked good  :) )
However I have justed realised I haven't got a clue how to use them and they didnt come with any instructions !
Please can anyone help ?  ???
Thanks
Lou

helbels

Hi Loulou

From looking at the website, these are for use with frit and enamel powders.  I think you pour your frit or powder into them, and then gently move the device across the bead to form your line (or just hold it still to form a dot, I presume).

I'm only guessing by looking at the piccies though!

loulou3012

Thanks for your reply
I think you are probably right .  I was thinking that I could use them to make a line using a glass rod  :-[
I will give it a go using the Frit !
Lou

Flyingcheesetoastie

Sorry, tried looking on the website but couldn't find them.  Do they look like a hollow cone with a hole in the end attached to a handle?  I have these and if they have grooves on the handle the trick is to run a fingernail over it which vibrates your powder down through the cone in a continuous way for lines.  I find it works anyway.

If it's not these ones then sorry for talking gibberish!

loulou3012

Hi ,
Yes thats the ones .
It all makes sense now ! I feel really silly thinking I could use glass rods with them  :-[
Thanks for your help !
Lou

Kaz

Lou if you tell us what it is you are wanting to do we might be able to help?
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

loulou3012

Hi Kaz,
Well to be honest I am not sure ! I just bought them because I thought it would help me with straight lines and even dots ! I obviously didnt think about it properly though as there is no way to get melted glass through the hole  :'( I will give them a go using frit though and hopefully I will get some good results .
I am fairly new to this so was just looking for tools to help !
Thanks Lou x

Flyingcheesetoastie

Lou, I've got some black fine frit you can try if you want?  Send me your address and I'll post a baggy out!

Due to the nature of the powder through the tool, your not going to get crisp lines and dots but it will be a different way to apply powder and frit precisely rather than rolling a bead in it so don't loose heart!  It just looks like you might have to PPP stringer control for the molten dots and lines!

bubblefizz

have you tried the tool yet? im intrigued to find out what its like  ;D

loulou3012

Haven't had chance yet to try them out but I am hoping too this week as not so busy .
Rachel has kindly sent me some small black frit so I am ready to have a go .
I will let you know how I get on !
Lou x