Smelling Gas?!

Started by misspixie, September 22, 2009, 04:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misspixie

I was working on my torch, out in the garage today. Mum came out to tell me something about an hour and a half into my session, and panicked, because she could smell gas really strongly. I've never smelt it before, but thinking about it, the last few days I've had a bit of a headache after a day out there.

So...

Anyone know how to check for gas leaks?

turnedlight

You need some leak detection fluid, you can use washing up liquid with a bit of water. Paint it on the joins and look for little bubbles that show you gas is escaping.
kathryn

Steampunkglass

You might also be getting headaches from carbon monoxide build up, I noticed before I improved my air extraction I was getting sore throats and headaches after a long session

misspixie

Quote from: turnedlight on September 22, 2009, 04:27:44 PM
You need some leak detection fluid, you can use washing up liquid with a bit of water. Paint it on the joins and look for little bubbles that show you gas is escaping.

Thanks for this - I'll have a look later and see what I can find! :)

Glen - Extra ventilation/extraction might be the way forward, my dad's looking at that this weekend for me, so hopefully all sorted again by next week :)

interval

I would be looking for a cracked pipe.
If your pipes have been in use for a while check the bends, they can crack, if you do find a crack, do not try to bind it.
The best way is to cut it out and put in a short run of pipe with a gas connector that way you only have to replace a short run instead of the entire pipe.
Do not in any circumstance ignore this, do not continue using your set-up until the problem is solved.
Quick way to check for leaks is with washing up liquid, just smear along the pipe and look for bubbles.

Mary

On occasions when I forget to switch my ventilation on I get a "swimming pool" type smell, not really gas, and I don't notice it unless I go out then back in. Could it just be the fumes? Do get better ventilation if you are getting headaches.

Krysia@No98

The lovely Alex says that it smells like cabage
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-