How can I make a small amount of frit?

Started by bluefairy, October 06, 2009, 06:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefairy

I need just a little bit of bullseye frit in a particular colour - it doesn't have to be even, but probably of medium/coarse ish size.  Is there any way to do it with a flame?   I'm sure i've read somewhere about heating a rod then dropping it into cold water, but can't find anything about it, so thought I'd ask all you lovely clever peeps  :-*
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

Katiequiggle

Heat the end of a rod up and flatten with a masher, then reheat then plunge into a glass of water and it will shatter into frit.  ;D

Stacy

Get a rod and heat a gather on the end.
When it is nice and red hot plunge it into a dish of clean water where it should 'pop'... (i don't want to use the word explode as that sounds REALLY bad)
Drain and leave the glass on a paper towel to dry

This will probably give you lots of different sizes so you might need to sort using some mesh if you need a particular size

bluefairy

Helen xx

Zeldazog

Or you could tell us what colour you're after, see if anybody already has some  ;D ;D ;D

bluefairy

Quote from: Zeldazog on October 06, 2009, 06:58:42 PM
Or you could tell us what colour you're after, see if anybody already has some  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you honey, but I need it tonight!!  ;D
Helen xx

Zeldazog

Ah, sorry, can't get any to you that fast!

Pat from Canvey

Old Moulinex coffee grinder bought from boot sale for about £1. Makes lovely finer frit if you use the hot gather and water method first.