tuffnells electric bead reamer

Started by baked beads, July 17, 2009, 12:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baked beads

has anyone tried tuffnells electric bead reamer or any other  electric reamer. im not sure whether i should go for electric or where i should go for a manual one with the diamond reamer thats best to use in water. any pros and cons of each method would be great.

as you can tell im very much a newbie but would like all you experienced beaders to give me your advice.

many thanks

Shuks@Bakedbeads

juliet

I love it, and I have to admit that I use it as a tiny dremel and use other attachments on it as well.

I've got a split pin that fits perfectly and its great with emery paper for finishing off rings (although I possibly shouldn't be doing that).

Trudi

I hate the manual ones - I always end up stabbing nyself with it - and it hurts!

silvergirl

The electric ones are so much quicker and easier, you will save yourself a whole load of time (more time for beading!!)

Lisa
Lisa x

Rachel B

I`ve got an electric one and wouldn`t be without it, the time I used to spend witht he manual reamer was ridiculous and I always ended up with a black mark on the palm of my hand ( like a pirate....oooooaaaar!) and a really aching arm.

afina

Quote from: Trudi on July 17, 2009, 08:41:17 AM
I hate the manual ones - I always end up stabbing nyself with it - and it hurts!

So did I!
Now I own a Kristall grinding machine (used for Tiffany work) with a 2mm and a 3mm reamer - perfect for me!!!
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

Mand

I've just bought another electric reamer fromTuffnells - I dropped my other one and the drill bit bent so badly that the whole thing is completely wrecked.  My own stoopid clmsy fault - that and having a ceramic kitchen floor.  ::)

Anyway .... electric reamer, highly recommended!  ;D  Tuffnells v. quick to deliver as well.  ;D

chocolateteapot

i just use a little elctric hand drill with a pack of diamond drill bits that i got from warm glass, several different diameters in there

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=952

They are all diamond coated they last quite a while and you can get them in to really really little holes. Just an option! Obviously must be used in water
Tracy x
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

baked beads

well thank you everybody. that appears to be a no brainer!!! electric all the way. i dont know who i thought i was kidding by even suggesting a manual one. does it really matter whether its a dremel or the one on tuffnells website?
Shuks@Bakedbeads

mariag

I've got a corded Black & Decker tool & just bought a cordless one from Lidl for £16.99 - used it this afternoon with the reaming bits that I got from Martin ;D

baked beads

can the electric reamer from tuffnells be used in water?

Shuks@Bakedbeads

Mand

Quote from: baked beads on July 19, 2009, 10:22:49 PM
can the electric reamer from tuffnells be used in water?

The tip of it yes, it had a voltage plug thingie wotsit that reduces the electric current or something like that.  Anyway, it's safe to use in a little bit water - I do. If you don't use the bit in water when using on glass it blunts the drill bit in about .... 30 seconds!  ;)

baked beads

i should be receiving mine in a couple of days. im gonna practice on some of my wonky beads! martin said as long as the bead and the trip of the diamond bit is wet it should be ok.
Shuks@Bakedbeads

lampworklover

Mine arrived this morning, and it's brilliant!