cost of running an oxy con

Started by firedinglass, June 01, 2009, 07:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedinglass

In another thread Katie asked about the cost of running a kiln, which it turns out is virtually nothing.... i have wondered how much the oxy con is costing me to run,  i suspect it's a lot more of a money concern.  I always dread the arrival of the electricity  bill....does anybody have a rough idea?

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

sarah t

i have no idea ...but torch uses less gas then hot head so i figure its about even ...and got to be less than a kiln ??

Josephine

I'm not sure that it is less than a kiln. The kiln obviously uses most when it is heating up, but once it is up to temperature I think the power consumption really is fairly minimal, the oxycon on the other hand is running all the time you are working.

julieHB

Hi, on my oxycon it says it uses 1.7A at 230V, which translates to 0.391kW. If I pay 10p per kWh that corresponds to a running cost of about 4p per hour.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Josephine

Thats not too bad then. My husband tried implying that our jump in electricity usage  a few months ago was due to my beadmaking...I'm thinking it was actually down to the big flat screen tv he decided to buy!

GlassOcean

Quote from: julieHB on June 01, 2009, 10:44:41 AM
Hi, on my oxycon it says it uses 1.7A at 230V, which translates to 0.391kW. If I pay 10p per kWh that corresponds to a running cost of about 4p per hour.

Not just a pretty face my lovely! 

firedinglass

Thanks julie, in that case I can't be blamed either for the huge leap in the electricity bills!   :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

julieHB

I believe the most costly appliance in my studio during the winter months has been the heater.....  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr