Main Menu

Sore Throat problem

Started by SuefromYorkshire, June 21, 2009, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuefromYorkshire

Is it just me or does anybody else get a sore throat from making glass beads?

This is what I'm putting it down to - spending too long in a session in my little bead shed! :(

Also I know you are suppose to wear a mask when melting silver but I try to hold my breath (don't know if that works) and I have been using lots of silver foil on my beads recently could it be that?

Just wondered if anybody might know as I'm a bit worried I'm doing something to my health :-\

hollergrafik

Do you have ventilation? holding your breath isnt going to do anything as its all in the air and needs venting out. I used to cough til I got my ventilation.

Pam

I take it you do have some sort of extraction fan!

SuefromYorkshire

Yes, I have an extractor fan and I have the door open about 6".

Annelyse

I used to have a sore throat. I upgraded my fan to a superpowerful one and I don't get a sore throat anymore (and I also feel generally better). So, it is  possible that your ventilation is not enough.

Annelyse

I forgot to say:

You have to be careful with silver but I think I remember reading somewhere that the biggest problem is nitrogen dioxyde which is a combustion by product and an irritant.

Please correct me if I am wrong...

flaming beads

mmm...i get a sore throat too! and thinking about it, i had possibly noticed this more after using silver foil and wire! must get a fan but have my window open for now. i do however, sometimes wear a mask...when i remember:-(

SuefromYorkshire

Thank you for your help, I feel now that I was right about the silver and should get more ventilation !!!
Thanks again for being there to help! :)

Billie

Only when I realise I've been sat at my torch for 3 or 4 hours and have 1) forgotten to take in a large glass of water with me so I can have a drink or, 2) forgotten I have taken in a large glass of water with me and don't have a drink :D