Fitting quick release connectors

Started by Linz, June 06, 2009, 11:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz

Hiya,
I decided to add some propane quick release connectors into my propane hose after getting fed up with unscrewing the regulator from the tank each time I had finished for the day. My OH's dad bought them from a gas supplier and my OH has attached them using 2 hose connector-thingys (sorry I'm not the most technical person!!) He's shoved them, hammered them, soaked the hose in warm water and still can't get the stupid things in properly! Having screwed the hose connectors tightly, we put the bubble test solution around the joints and sat and watched. There were tiny bubbles that formed unsurprisingly at the new connection points. We can't get the hose on past the ridges in the quick release connectors. My OH is out playing cricket today and I really don't want to ring his dad again as he's already helped me so much. Do any of FHF's wonderful members have any ideas/suggestions as to what I can do please? I have itchy fingers and was looking forward to a quiet day of melting glass! Wish I hadn't been so cheap and just bought the quick release kit from Martin now!!! ::)  :)
My website: http://www.punkypuppy.co.uk
Linz x

Calico Cat

I had the same problem.

My OH ended up using his electric drill to "push" them in - he opened up the ?chuck? - the part that normally holds the drill bit - tightened it onto the connector then ran the drill on slow speed and sort of wound them into the hose. I know they got very hot but I discretely dissappeared when the language started to get a bit OTT . . . . Came back when he had finished and they were fine.

Carole

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Magpie

Or you could try dunking them in neat washing up liquid before putting them on to lubricate them. Wash off the excess once they're on though.