hot head torch....

Started by dunkster, July 09, 2009, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunkster

is the torch that i have at the moment. largely because it was a cheap starting torch compared to the others. but is there only so much you can do with this torch? ther flame size is quite large no matter how much you turn your gas up or down. is that a problem?

i did buy the bulk fuel lead to connect to a proper propane cylinder which has made it far more economical. but if i am to be very good at bead work, will the hot head hold me back?

Zia

I have seen some lovely creations done on a HH....
I think any cheap torch is good for a newbie like me too, so you get a feel of the glass types of colours you like etc...and because it isnt as hot as the "proper" torches, you have more control of the glass.....not the glass of you!

xxx
Melting glass again! "happy dance"

Veebee

I second Zia in that I have seen some beautiful work done on the HH. I will personally be using one for a long time, as I have nowhere to torch safely otherwise! Some stuff, like raku, is difficult to work out,  but perserverance is the key. I have been experimenting a lot lately, especially with reactions, and half the time I am discouraged, but the other half rocks!!!  ;D

We all try to walk before we can run, we see so many beautiful things and we want to recreate them. That is a fact ( and I can't think of anyone on here who would argue!!) However, on a HH, this can seem an axpensive experiment! Anytime you get a new glass that others have had success with, but your first test bead turns out like poo, I would say put it to one side, have a look at the forum for hints and tips, ask questions ( direct questions, not vague or you may get conflicting answers [no offence meant  :D ]) but most importantly, PLAY!!!  ;D Enjoy the fun of finding out stuff, because you will have that moment of epiphany when a glass you have been struggling with suddenly works, and that is priceless!

Good luck, and please, don't be frustrated by what you might be able to do in the future, enjoy what you have the possibility to do now!!!!
:-*
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

Mary

You can do a lot on a HH, it's a perfectly good torch, and some people don't feel any need to change. I changed torch because it was noisy, and I was impatient and wanted something hotter and faster, but it won't really hold you back.

Trudi

and sometimes you get poo when you're trying out new glass on duel fuel torches.

HH are great torches especially when you're new as the glass doesn't melt too quickly and gives you a chance to learn how to manipulate the glass. I used mine for ages before I upgraded (and I still have it) good news though you can use the bulk kit with other torches too (well I could at least with my minor!)

Krysia@No98

Hello

I have a hot head too.  I have told myself that I can get a different torch after I get a kiln. (so next year - maybe)

Things I have heard about a hot head and people with hot head torches

* One day you can get a big girls torch - PAH!
* Its a really good torch to learn on as it melts the glass a little slower and therefore gives you a chance to really get to know the different glasses (even the differences just between the melting properties of one type of glass in all it's different colours)
* Well just look at what Sarah Hornick can do with hers (seriously have a look - ooo and buy some of her e books - very informative)
* If you can do it on a hot head you can do it on anything

From what I have read a fancy torch is a nice to have and being on a hot head won't hold you back.  (and I will keep telling myself that until next year :D )

-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Katiequiggle

Being on a hot head hasn't held me back.  I sell a lot of my work, which must be a fair testiment to the hothead.  I hate hearing people say they have moved onto a proper torch, it is a proper torch is just uses one type of fuel. It is fab for learning on because it is slightly slower but that slowness gives you the chance to think and create.  The art of using a hothead is to find the best place in the flame to work.  You know what they say, a bad workman blames his tools and you can still make a stradivarious sound like a strangled cat if you don't know what you're doing.

beadmonkey

Have a look at Sarah Hornik's site and I don't think you will wonder whether a HH will limit you!

http://www.glassbysarah.com/

Roy :)

Kaz

Quote from: Katiequiggle on July 13, 2009, 10:55:11 PM
You know what they say, a bad workman blames his tools and you can still make a stradivarious sound like a strangled cat if you don't know what you're doing.
I wonder if you could do the opposite - if you knew what you were doing, like??!!!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Katiequiggle

Quote from: Kaz on July 13, 2009, 11:05:32 PM
Quote from: Katiequiggle on July 13, 2009, 10:55:11 PM
You know what they say, a bad workman blames his tools and you can still make a stradivarious sound like a strangled cat if you don't know what you're doing.
I wonder if you could do the opposite - if you knew what you were doing, like??!!!
Kazx

If its any help, mines been sounding like a trombone lately but not for long cause she's going to the vets next week.