Main Menu

ebay

Started by amewat, May 04, 2009, 01:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amewat

hi all im wanting to try out lampworking an have a the kit apart from the bulk part which is kina pricey so i was wondering if this would do on ebay http:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/27mm-Clip-On-Propane-Gas-Regulator-2m-Hose-2-Clips_W0QQitemZ150343020675QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item150343020675&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

i dont really know what a regulator is an i dont know if it will do for the hothead but if it wontn do would someone kindly look on ebay for the bits i need soi can put them together (i would be forever grateful) anyways please let me know thanks.

Redhotsal

That's not the regulator you want - it's more often used for caravanning. You need a 0-4 bar regulator which is adjustable (£25?). You also need a 1 inch to 8mm adaptor to convert the hothead to standard propane fittings (£9?), some proper propane hose (high pressure) (£10?) and a propane flashback arrestor (£19?). And a bunch or crimp fittings. If you don't have a crimp tool you'll end up putting these all together with jubilee clips which really isn't recommended nowadays.

I'm not working for Martin Tuffnell(!) but seriously by the time you've sourced all these bits and out them together safely you will have spent the best part of £80 so you may as well buy the kit from Martin which has been professionally put together and pressure tested for leaks. You'll be spending a lot more than £100 on lampworking if you seriously get into it. A kiln alone will set you back £400 upwards.

If you are not sure about gas fittings - and I'm guessing that you aren't - don't muck about with it - go for the safer option, even if it works out a little more expensive. If you want to just try out lampworking to see if you like it get a couple of Mapp gas cylinders. But the Mapp gas is expensive if you carry on using it so I would advise a bulk set up as soon as you can.

Shirley

I'd echo what Sal has just said. It's worth paying a little more for ease of mind, to be honest, plus Martin is extremely helpful if you get any problems with the set up and running. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Les

I have to agree with what has been said already :)
You can't beat Martin for lampworking equipment :)

arachnia

Hi

I am a newbie too and I was looking into doing the bulk kit myself too and I search everywhere on ebay and other sites and it got mind boggling cos after getting all the stuff and then making sure I put it all together properly it was too much hassle. In the end my mom lent me the money and she bought the bulk kit off ebay from martin (she had a 10% discount code for ebay ;) ) and i been melting since.  :)

Vickie
Vickie
]

dangerousbead

Yep, go with Martin, and you can always phone him for advice if your'e unsure of anything,he's friendly.